WCF vs LBCF

Status
Not open for further replies.
LBCF VII:
3. This covenant is revealed in the gospel; first of all to Adam in the promise of salvation by the seed of the woman, and afterwards by farther steps, until the full discovery thereof was completed in the New Testament; and it is founded in that eternal covenant transaction that was between the Father and the Son about the redemption of the elect; and it is alone by the grace of this covenant that all the posterity of fallen Adam that ever were saved did obtain life and blessed immortality, man being now utterly incapable of acceptance with God upon those terms on which Adam stood in his state of innocency.

What does this mean?

man being now utterly incapable of acceptance with God upon those terms on which Adam stood in his state of innocency.

What does this mean?

It simply means that Adam in his innocent state was able to enjoy God's presence fully. He could stand before him, commune with him, etc.

After he sinned, he could not stand before him. And, of course, that is our plight as well. God is Holy--unholy sinners cannot approach him or commune with him.

Which is why we need a mediator, and why we need that mediator to present us as righteous before God. Otherwise, we have no hope to stand before him except to face his wrath.

Notice, once again that the WCF, the Savoy, and the 1689 all agree, but with different language, that there is only one Covenant of Grace by which Adam's descendants can be saved.

Man, you guys are awesome! I totally see it now. I'm just not the best at understanding wording like this yet. I'm getting better and better the more I read, but it is still really hard for me.

Thanks fellas!

1. God hath endued the will of man with that natural liberty, that is neither forced, nor by any absolute necessity of nature determined to good or evil.

1. God hath endued the will of man with that natural liberty and power of acting upon choice, that it is neither forced, nor by any necessity of nature determined to do good or evil.

Huh? I'm having a difficult time understanding this sentence. Because of though I don't know what difference the words in bold make.

Is this talking about the free will of adam?

Matt:

Ken Stewart, in his book Ten Myths about Calvinism (in the "second myth"), deals with some of the possible differences between Calvin and the Westminster on the decrees. Whether one agrees with all of Stewart's treatment here, this has long been a subject of discussion and controversy.

It is also the case that both the Synod of Dort and Westminster, as to the supra/infra debate, lean toward infra without clearly rejecting supra. For example, Westminster notes, in 3:6--"they who are elected, being fallen in Adam, are redeemed by Christ"--giving what appears to be a nod toward infralapsarianism. Yet, as the prolocutor of the Assembly, William Twisse noted, Dort (and Westminster) likely allowed both, believing that disagreement was over a matter of "mere logick."

As to the question at hand (not so much the comparison with the LBCF)--"what does the Westminster say about election/reprobation in Chapter 3?"--I would particularly recommend that you read John Fesko's treatment of the subject in chapter 4 of his recent book, The Theology of the Westminster Standards. The first two sections of Chapter 3 ("Of God's Eternal Decree") set forth the general teaching on such before the rest of the section proceeds to treat specifically the question of election and reprobation. What you cite, Matt, from 3:3, sets forth the broad strokes of the Confession's doctrines of election and reprobation. In this section (3:3), they sound as if they might receive the same treatment from the Divines: some are predestinated unto everlasting life and others foreordained to everlasting death.

However, sections 4-7 proceed to confess how this works, with sections 5-6 dealing with predestination unto life and section 7 treating reprobation. Note the striking difference in the language (which seems different from Calvin, at least in some places): those predestined are predestined in the most active of senses. This is not the way that the Confession speaks of reprobation, however, in section 7: "The rest of mankind God was pleased, according to the unsearchable counsel of his own will, whereby he extendeth or withholdeth mercy, as he pleaseth, for the glory of his sovereign power over his creatures, to pass by; and to ordain them to dishonor and wrath for their sin, to the praise of his glorious justice." The Confession (cf. WCF 6:1) has no problem with the language of "permitting sin," which language Calvin does not prefer.

Fesko describes this as affirming "preterition," and writes about 3:7: "The point the divines implicitly make with such a distinction, namely, the predestination of the elect and the preterition of the non-elect, is that God does not treat both groups in the same way. God positively and actively brings about the salvation of the elect, but he does not positively and actively bring about the reprobation of the non-elect. To do this would make God the author of sin, something the Confession 3:1 explicitly denies" (120).

And then WCF 3:8 goes on to insist that we are not to engage in speculation about this (this is why it calls it "the doctrine of this high mystery of predestination") but to receive comfort from such a doctrine as we seek to walk with the Lord in the obedience of the gospel.

All this is to say, Matt, that whatever the differences between the WCF and the LBCF at 3:3 are (and I think that the LCBF is merely bringing some of what follows in 3:5-7 into 3:3), the WCF does not teach in the rest of 3 that election and reprobation have the same standing, but that election involves God's positive choosing while reprobation involves (as part of His decree, to be sure), God's passing by the rest, and ordaining them "to dishonor and wrath for their sin," which contrasts with the elect (who are not predestined due to "any foresight of faith, or good works, or perseverance in either of them, or any other thing in the creature, as conditions, or causes moving him thereunto," WCF 3:5).

Peace,
Alan

Last edited:
The Confession (cf. WCF 6:1) has no problem with the language of "permitting sin," which language Calvin does not prefer.
Why?

And thanks for your response. I will look into those books!

Also, did you see my previous question about both WCF LBCF 9:1? Is this talking about Adam?

Matt:

Could you clarify for me what the "why" (from what you quote) has reference to? It could mean several different things.

And as for WCF 9--section 1 treats man qua man, that is, as God made him; section 2 deals with Adam pre-fall, while section 3 deals with Adam in the fall (and all mankind in Adam, outside of Christ, as a result of the fall). Section 4 deals with man as renewed in Christ and Section 5 deals with renewed man as glorified.

My point above is that Westminster treats these matters very carefully, far more so than is often caricatured: election is a positive action of God towards those whom He loves and reprobation involves a passing by of those whom He is pleased to leave in their sin. The Confession does not treat these in a parallel fashion, made clear in the statements about salvation (3-8) that flesh out the broader statements of God's decreeing whatsover comes to pass.

Think of it this way: the Confession affirms that God decrees all that comes to pass and does it with respect to election and reprobation as set in 5-7, particularly. WCF 3:7 makes its especially clear that preterition is the category for understanding how God deals with the reprobate as part of His decreeing all that comes to pass.

Peace,
Alan

Calvin explains himself, Institutes III.23.8:

Here they have recourse to the distinction between will and permission. By this they would maintain that the wicked perish because God permits it, not because he so wills. But why shall we say “permission” unless it is because God so wills? Still, it is not in itself likely that man brought destruction upon himself through himself, by God’s mere permission and without any ordaining. As if God did not establish the condition in which he wills the chief of his creatures to be! I shall not hesitate, then, simply to confess with Augustine that “the will of God is the necessity of things,” and that what he has willed will of necessity come to pass, as those things which he has foreseen will truly come to pass.

Especially in light of what follows, I don't think that's really dissimilar from the qualifications made in the Westminster Confession of Faith (V.4):

The almighty power, unsearchable wisdom, and infinite goodness of God so far manifest themselves in His providence, that it extends itself even to the first fall, and all other sins of angels and men; and that not by a bare permission, but such as has joined with it a most wise and powerful bounding, and otherwise ordering, and governing of them, in a manifold dispensation, to His own holy ends; yet so, as the sinfulness thereof proceeds only from the creature, and not from God, who, being most holy and righteous, neither is nor can be the author or approver of sin.

The fall into sin was necessary with a necessity of the consequence, though not of compulsion. That is to say, God didn't make people sin and yet sin was certainly included in the decree. If that's all permission means, it's a fine word; but if permission is taken to mean that sin is somehow outside of God's decree, then Calvin has no use for that.

1. God hath endued the will of man with that natural liberty, that is neither forced, nor by any absolute necessity of nature determined to good or evil.

1. God hath endued the will of man with that natural liberty and power of acting upon choice, that it is neither forced, nor by any necessity of nature determined to do good or evil.

Huh? I'm having a difficult time understanding this sentence. Because of though I don't know what difference the words in bold make.

Is this talking about the free will of adam?

These words in the 1689 are taken directly from the Savoy Declaration.

I do think that what Ruben cites of Calvin (in #43, above), taken with a passage like WCF 5.4, demonstrates that Calvin and the Confession are not ultimately at odds over this.

Nonetheless, I do think that the emphasis of Calvin is different (more strident with respect to his point) than the milder tone of the Confession. I think that this can be seen in a passage in the Institutes like I.18.2 in which Calvin deals with this question more specifically. I agree that the Confession does not use "permitting" in the way to which Calvin most clearly objects. But the Divines were quite aware of Calvin's objections and the particular way in which he constructed his double predestination and in the face of that chose to use the language of "permitting" and "passing by" anyway. Most students of this agree that there is a mild backing-off of the stronger way in which Calvin chose to address this and express himself.

Having said that, I don't think that there are substantive differences here but ones of tone and emphasis and I believe that such differences are not unimportant in a matter like this.

Peace,
Alan

Thank you guys for your help! And the website you posted has been amazing for me!!!

So my question now is one that I am embarrassed of, what exactly is passive obedience? I ask because now I am on Ch 11 of the confessions and we are on the justification chapter, VERY IMPORTANT PART :D, and I want to understand it as fully as possible. I am thinking it is his being exposed to the consequences of sin, and fully exposed on the cross. Am I way off?

WCF — Chapter XI: Of Justification
1. Those whom God effectually calleth, he also freely justifieth: not by infusing righteousness into them, but by pardoning their sins, and by accounting and accepting their persons as righteous; not for any thing wrought in them, or done by them, but for Christ's sake alone; not by imputing faith itself, the act of believing, or any other evangelical obedience to them, as their righteousness; but by imputing the obedience and satisfaction of Christ unto them, they receiving and resting on him and his righteousness by faith; which faith they have not of themselves, it is the gift of God.

LBCF — Chapter XI: Of Justification
1. Those whom God effectually calleth, he also freely justifieth, not by infusing righteousness into them, but by pardoning their sins, and by accounting and accepting their persons as righteous; not for anything wrought in them, or done by them, but for Christ's sake alone; not by imputing faith itself, the act of believing, or any other evangelical obedience to them, as their righteousness; but by imputing Christ's active obedience unto the whole law, and passive obedience in his death for their whole and sole righteousness by faith, which faith they have not of themselves; it is the gift of God.

I found this quote on the gospel coalition website.
[We cannot] allocate certain phases or acts of our Lord’s life on earth to the active obedience and certain other phases and acts to the passive obedience. The distinction between the active and passive obedience is not a distinction of periods. It is our Lord’s whole work of obedience in every phase and period that is described as active and passive, and we must avoid the mistake of thinking that the active obedience applies to the obedience of his life and the passive obedience to the obedience of his final sufferings and death.

The real use and purpose of the formula is to emphasize the two distinct aspects of our Lord’s vicarious obedience. The truth expressed rests upon the recognition that the law of God has both penal sanctions and positive demands. It demands not only the full discharge of its precepts but also the infliction of penalty for all infractions and shortcomings. It is this twofold demand of the law of God which is taken into account when we speak of the active and passive obedience of Christ. Christ as the vicar of his people came under the curse and condemnation due to sin and he also fulfilled the law of God in all its positive requirements. In other words, he took care of the guilt of sin and perfectly fulfilled the demands of righteousness. He perfectly met both the penal and the preceptive requirements of God’s law. The passive obedience refers to the former and the active obedience to the latter. (pp. 20-22)

And i found this quote on the link that Jeff posted at the top of the page.
His passive obedience refers to receiving the penalty of the law (God’s just wrath for those he purchased), as if he had broken the Law.

So is passive obedience Christ enduring all the effects of sin and it climaxing at the cross?

And i found this quote on the link that Jeff posted at the top of the page.
His passive obedience refers to receiving the penalty of the law (God’s just wrath for those he purchased), as if he had broken the Law.
So is passive obedience Christ enduring all the effects of sin and it climaxing at the cross?

I think a good description of passive obedience is set out in Isaiah chapter 53:

Isa 53:4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
Isa 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
Isa 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
Isa 53:7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.
Isa 53:8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.
Isa 53:9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.
Isa 53:10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
Isa 53:11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

Lord Christ bore all this. It was done to him, hence the adjective "passive." He was obedient to the prophecy.

I think a good description of passive obedience is set out in Isaiah chapter 53:

Isa 53:4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
Isa 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
Isa 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
Isa 53:7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.
Isa 53:8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.
Isa 53:9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.
Isa 53:10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
Isa 53:11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

Lord Christ bore all this. It was done to him, hence the adjective "passive." He was obedient to the prophecy.
Do you believe this to be throughout his entire life? or only at the cross?

These days, "active" obedience is a term for the obedience of Christ toward the Law. He always did his Father's will. He did it not to qualify himself for his role as the spotless Lamb, but because of our failures in the same. We who believe in him and his work are credited for his work, as if we ourselves had never sinned and had in fact obeyed perfectly.

We receive the benefits of both his active and his passive (suffering) obedience.

According to Sam Waldron, in note 5 of chapter 11, of his book "1689: A Modern Exposition"...

The term 'passive', as used here, denotes the suffering or passion of Christ, not his passivity under the suffering.

The 1689 goes farther that WCF with the passive/active distinction, but that doesn't mean they fundamentally disagree.

Originally Posted by Matthew1344
According to Sam Waldron, in note 5 of chapter 11, of his book "1689: A Modern Exposition"...

The term 'passive', as used here, denotes the suffering or passion of Christ, not his passivity under the suffering.
To say it is him actively enduring through suffering is wrong or right?

Last edited:
Matthew1344 said:
armourbearer said:
Supralapsarianism maintains the same historical order of the means of salvation as the infralapsarian
This might be a silly question, but what exactly is the difference between what God decreed and what historically happened? His decree is all history. I know that might not make any sense, im just trying to figure out what you said.
It may be a bit late, but my understanding of the matter is the following. There is the decree and the execution of the decree. The decree is made in eternity while the carrying out of the decree occurs in history. God makes His plan in eternity and then carries out that plan in history. Whatever historically happened occurs precisely as God had decreed from eternity, but whatever historically happened is not the decree itself. Rather, whatever happens in history belongs to the execution of the decree.

I personally have found the Westminster Shorter Catechism helpful for providing the categories of thought in these matters. We have the decrees described as being God's "eternal purpose:"

Q. 7. What are the decrees of God?
A. The decrees of God are, his eternal purpose, according to the counsel of his will, whereby, for his own glory, he hath foreordained whatsoever comes to pass.

We then have the execution of the decrees being made within the works of Creation and Providence, i.e., within history, not eternity:

Q. 8. How doth God execute his decrees?
A. God executeth his decrees in the works of creation and providence.

Originally Posted by KMK
Originally Posted by Matthew1344

Sorry, i moved this up because i didnt want it to get missed. :think:

I think it may lead to confusion. The "active" and "passive" adjectives were put to use to remind us that Christ was not merely a perfect sacrifice, he was a perfect man as well. He needs to be a man to call us brothers, and to be high priest.

On Calvin and the Westminster Confession, I would suggest Calvin's rejection of "permission" equates to the Confession's rejection of "bare permission." As the Confession teaches at numerous points, God was pleased to permit sin and overrule it for His own high and holy purpose. "Bare" permission supposes other reasons why God permits it, which lie outside the holiness, wisdom, and power of God.

I think it may lead to confusion. The "active" and "passive" adjectives were put to use to remind us that Christ was not merely a perfect sacrifice, he was a perfect man as well. He needs to be a man to call us brothers, and to be high priest.

I wanted to write a little more, but was in my shop running an engine test and got distracted.

The terms "active and passive obedience" have been treated differently by different writers, so confusion is to be expected. I take it as looking at all of Christ's life from two perspectives: He was always fulfilling the law (active), and he was always prepared to be the perfect sacrifice (passive).

Both aspects are demanded by the law. And it then comes to the issue of imputation. Some non-reformed people (and some who call themselves reformed) reject the imputation of Christ's active obedience, but only accept imputation of his passive obedience. Hence, they may say that Christ's active obedience only prepared him to be the perfect sacrifice.

But without his active obedience being imputed to us, as I understand it, only our sins are paid for--we are not considered righteous before God. That brings us to a position of not suffering wrath, but not being able to enjoy fellowship with God either as Christ's actual adopted brothers and sisters.

That may be simplistic, and I'd invite others to clarify, but the terms do seem to need being distinguished.

Some non-reformed people (and some who call themselves reformed) reject the imputation of Christ's active obedience, but only accept imputation of his passive obedience. Hence, they may say that Christ's active obedience only prepared him to be the perfect sacrifice.

I think the Westminster's language of 'perfect' obedience is sufficient and avoids confusion...if it weren't for those, as Vic says, who try to turn 'perfect' obedience into 'perfect passive' obedience. I can see the reasoning behind the language of both confessions, although they basically teach the same thing.

On Calvin and the Westminster Confession, I would suggest Calvin's rejection of "permission" equates to the Confession's rejection of "bare permission." As the Confession teaches at numerous points, God was pleased to permit sin and overrule it for His own high and holy purpose. "Bare" permission supposes other reasons why God permits it, which lie outside the holiness, wisdom, and power of God.

This is great insight. It clears up a great deal for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back