When does the Sabbath Day Begin/End Revisited

Discussion in 'The Law of God' started by Jeff_Bartel, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VirginiaHuguenot

VirginiaHuguenot Puritanboard Librarian

Alexander Smith Paterson, A Concise System of Theology: Being the Shorter Catechism of the Westminster Assembly of Divines, Analyzed and Explained, p. 221:

2. Jeff_Bartel

Jeff_Bartel Puritan Board Graduate

Thanks for those resources Andrew!

3. VirginiaHuguenot

You're most welcome, Jeff! :handshake:

4. VirginiaHuguenot

James Gilfillan, The Sabbath Defended, p. 121:

5. VirginiaHuguenot

A kind and generous brother has made available to me Cleaver's treatise. Lord willing, I will type up the appendix one of these days for an additional reference on the subject. Many thanks, brother!

6. VirginiaHuguenot

James Durham treats this subject at some length in his work on the Fourth Commandment in support of the midnight-to-midnight observance of the Christian Sabbath.

7. VirginiaHuguenot

William Pynchon, New England Puritan, wrote A treatise of the Sabbath. Wherein is contained the time of the first institution of it. The manner how the first Sabbath was ordained. Whereunto is annexed A treatise of holy time: and therein the great question about the beginning and ending of the Lords Day is largely discussed: and in both sundry cases of conscience are handled, and many texts of scripture are opened, the practice of the churches in New England are inquired into (1654), a portion of which I have also seen titled Holy time: or, The true limits of the Lords Day I. Proving, that the Lords Day doth begin with the natural morning, and that the morning of the natural day doth begin at mid-night; and so consequently that the Lords Day must both begin with the natural morning at mid-night, and end with the natural evening at mid-night. II. Proving, that the Jews beginning of the day at the sun-set evening was only in relation to the date of the person purified from his levitical uncleanness. III. That the Jews themselves did hold, that the natural day did continue after sun-set till mid-night.

The book is on exhibition at the New York Public Library which says:

8. VirginiaHuguenot

George Swinnock, The Works of George Swinnock, Vol. 1, pp. 245-246:

9. Contra_Mundum

Contra_Mundum Pilgrim, Alien, Stranger Staff Member

I was a bit curious about one of the names above, so did an internet search.

William Pynchon, while I doubt not his defense of the Sabbath, was quite unorthodox, even heretical, in his doctrine of justification.

See the following containing a synopsis of the doctrine propounded in The Meritorious Price of Our Redemption, Justification, Etc.... http://www.dinsdoc.com/foster-1.htm

N.B. pp 703-707.

10. VirginiaHuguenot

Bruce -- Thanks for this info. I haven't read your link yet but will do soon, dv.

11. VirginiaHuguenot

A.W. Pink, The Ten Commandments:

12. VirginiaHuguenot

Matthew Poole's Annotations, Vol. I, p. 249, re Lev. 23.32:

13. VirginiaHuguenot

Edward R. Lambert, History of the Colony of New Haven, Before and After the Union with Connecticut (1838), p. 188:

14. VirginiaHuguenot

William Plumer, The Law of God, as Contained in the Ten Commandments, Explained and Enforced, pp.309-310:

15. VirginiaHuguenot

Richard Greenham, A Short Forme of Catechising:

16. VirginiaHuguenot

Alexander Whyte, An Exposition on the Shorter Catechism, pp. 173, 176:

17. VirginiaHuguenot

George Bancroft, The Apostolic Church and the Gospel Ministry, p. 235:

18. VirginiaHuguenot

John Wallis, A Defense of the Christian Sabbath, p. 28: