Worst book(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on a Kreeft search as you can see Andrew! :book2:

When I first read Between Heaven and Hell, almost 25 years ago, I thought it was novel. It was different than anything I had read before. I was in my early 20s. I was a young Christian and attending a Charismatic Church. Kreeft is very bright, articulate, interesting--actually he still is. Although I value Reformed writers like Bahnsen, Frame, etc much more, I still enjoy Some of Kreeft's books. I think his best work is:

Christianity for Modern Pagans: Pascal's Pensees — Explicates Pascal's surprisingly modern insights on contemporary life and powerful arguments for Christianity

I have read this book twice and have it thoroughly marked up. Kreeft's choice selection of Pascal's best and most readable Pensees are wonderful in themselves. His comments are very insightfull.

All his Socrates books are worth reading. I am not sure I can agree with him concerning Socrates redemption. Based on what, I say? That he had earthly wisdom? Meh ...

Between Heaven and Hell by Peter Kreeft.

Premise: John F. Kennedy, C.S. Lewis and Aldous Huxley all died on the same day (November 22, 1963) within hours of each hour. They meet in Limbo (Purgatory?) and compare their religious and philosophical world-views.

Talk about bad theology!

I actually have some cultic books.

Doctrine and Covenants the Pearl of Great Price. Joseph Smith (LDS)

New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures. Watchtower Bible & Tract Society (JW)

You Can Live Forever in Paradise on Earth. (WBTS, JW)

I only use them if I'm talking to Mormons or JWs.

They may not b theologically correct...but they are interesting

(To name a Few major books)
Mormon Quad
New World Translation
The Qur'an (pickthall trans.)
"The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins (he hates Christianity...but the boy can write)
"Billions and Billions" by carl sagan (again, he is also an awesome writer)

We have this in our church Library. I am NOT familiar with Eldredge, other than seeing his name and his books at some of the Christian bookstores.

I have an Arminian friend who gave me a copy of "Wild at Heart" to read.

I threw it at the wall.

I don't keep many "bad books" around... any I've found to be wretched enough end up on Ebay, funding purchases of good puritan stuff :) :pilgrim:

Seriously, though, I do have the Book of Mormon - something an online acquaintance sent me as part of his evangelistic efforts. ;)

I keep what I like to think of as my "heretical" section for handy reference. Heretics and Heretical works serve God's purposes as well. Paul was familiar with the Greek Philosopher's of his time. We should do no less.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhaaaaa :rofl:

The 2007-2012 World Outlook for Smoked and Cooked Bologna, Liverwurst, and Polish Sausage Made in Slaughtering Plants (Paperback)
by Philip M. Parker
td.productLabel { font-weight: bold; text-align: right; white-space: nowrap; vertical-align: top; padding-right: 5px; padding-left: 0px; } table.product { border: 0px; padding: 0px; border-collapse: collapse; }List Price:$795.00 Price:$795.00 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping

But hey, you get FREE SHIPPING !!!!!!!!!!

This is too funny

How do you find this stuff Andrew

I think this is the wurst book of them all! :wow:

Good question! Margery Kempe was a woman who lived in fourteenth century England. She thought God was talking to her, so she ditched her husband to become chaste, and travelled around Europe telling people about her visions. Yeah, she was a bit of a nut, but her dedication is astounding.

So is her sin . . .

The 2007-2012 World Outlook for Smoked and Cooked Bologna, Liverwurst, and Polish Sausage Made in Slaughtering Plants (Paperback)
by Philip M. Parker
td.productLabel { font-weight: bold; text-align: right; white-space: nowrap; vertical-align: top; padding-right: 5px; padding-left: 0px; } table.product { border: 0px; padding: 0px; border-collapse: collapse; }List Price:$795.00 Price:$795.00 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping

This is too funny

:coffee: I do too much of this: :book2:

Can you imagine the price for the hardback edition? :chained:

As a young teenaged Christian, I remember reading some stuff by a C.S. Lovett. WOW, was that stuff bad!!

I keep what I like to think of as my "heretical" section for handy reference. Heretics and Heretical works serve God's purposes as well. Paul was familiar with the Greek Philosopher's of his time. We should do no less.

:ditto:

I don't mind reading books I disagree with if they're written well.

I think the worst book I've read on my shelf was Joe Morecraft's With Liberty & Justice For All. Terrible argumentation. Everything is black and white.

Odd that you mention this...I have one of Morecraft's books How God Wants us to Worship Him.

I agree. Very black and white.

;)

:ditto:

I don't mind reading books I disagree with if they're written well.

I think the worst book I've read on my shelf was Joe Morecraft's With Liberty & Justice For All. Terrible argumentation. Everything is black and white.

Wild at Heart by John Eldridge actually it was really well written, but theologically garbage. Open Theism all over it.

Several Dave Hunt books. (But I was actually converted while reading one of them)

The Oxford Companion to the Bible
The New Oxford Annotated Bible (Both of the above required for college)

I also have How Christian Is Christian Counseling? by Gary Almy. The book itself is not really bad (endorsed by Jay Adams, among others) but the author is presently doing time for being a child molester, for incidents that took place after the book was published.

Probably the worst theological book in my library was given to me upon my high school graduation by the church I went to with my family. It is a book by the liberal minister we had at the time.

by Philip M. Parker

This is too funny

I honestly think Andrew has too much thyme on his hands! :lol:

Does anyone remember the Satan Seller by Mike Warnke?
Oh, yes. I read that when I was really young in my Christian walk. Ever since I found out about his prevaricating habits, my view totally changed on the guy.

After reading through some of the posts, I remember something that MeDiedBlue said a while back. Sometimes it's a good thing to keep the bad books as a point of reference -- and not necessarily as an endorsement. It would be like Beverly LaHaye keeping a copy of Backlash by the ultrafeminist leftist (and downright ugly in more than one aspect) Susan Faludi.

This should not suprise us. Reading a Primer on the Diety of Christ by Gerstner, he mentions that it is the Word of God that the Spirit uses as His sword--not necessarily the one who voices the Word of God. Christ says His Word will not return to Him void. So when the Word goes out, even from an insincere heart and from lying lips, its nonetheless the Word. God may see fit to honor His Word regardless of the source through which it comes. A person's success would be no proof that God is pleased with him.

In this sense God even uses Benny Hinn, as astoundingly bizarre as that sounds, to bring others to Himself when the simple words of Scripture are spoken. God works through His Word in spite of Us at times. :think:

Several Dave Hunt books. (But I was actually converted while reading one of them).

I don't keep many "bad books" around... any I've found to be wretched enough end up on Ebay, funding purchases of good puritan stuff :) :pilgrim:

Seriously, though, I do have the Book of Mormon - something an online acquaintance sent me as part of his evangelistic efforts. ;)

I've never felt right about selling or giving away a book whose theology makes me cringe. Usually I would either keep it for reference or toss it in the trash.

One I have kept is Endtime: The Doomsday Catalog, edited by William Griffin. Lots of short articles from various authors about life and death and the end times. Heretical, maybe even damnable, but I do like the artwork and pictures.

The Hymnbook. I'm serious - that's the title of the book. It was originally published in 1955 by what was then the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America (the big northern mainline). Musically it is excellent. Otherwise it is a piece of junk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back