Do You Need Seminary To Teach Theology?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not wanting to appear unduly partisan or parochial, but students at our seminary, typically, between support of their own churches (at local and other levels), scholarships, and student aid leave here with no additional debt. We tend to be quiet about that, but in a discussion like this I think it warrants saying.
I am sure, Alan, I speak for many in the Reformed Churches of New Zealand when I say people trained at Mid-America have been a real blessing in this denomination. A good friend of mine is beginning his language studies and will relocate to the USA in 2020 DV, and I was also recently blessed by the preaching of another graduate from Mid-America who is now doing his 1 year ministerial interim training with the RCNZ now.

It is a big commitment to send people to the USA to train but the arrangement between the RCNZ and Mid-America helps a lot here.

I am sure, Alan, I speak for many in the Reformed Churches of New Zealand when I say people trained at Mid-America have been a real blessing in this denomination.

Some Americans trained here have gone there and we are happy to share these good brothers with you.

But you have sent us some of your own men for training, and, I must say, it has been an enormous blessing to have them here. We love the kiwis who come here! Great guys!

What a beautiful land, in so many ways, you have there and I look forward to visiting someday.

Peace,
Alan

At first glance, this question may come across as a no brainier, but I think its still worth asking. Do you need to have undertaken 5 to 7+ years of theological higher education to begin a career as a lecturer at seminary/university? With the rising costs of theological education, and with there being few jobs out there for theological graduates, it can often feel like the costs of such education far out-weigh the benefits (especially with the use of online resources and online bookstores, where one can effectively self-teach himself much of what is taught at seminary). I know many men who would testify that very little of that which they were taught at seminary couldn't be self-taught and learned within the context of the local church. As far as my own education goes, much of what I learned at university could've been self-taught at a much more effective speed at home; in fact, most of what I know about my own personal study areas came outside the university campus (besides Classical Greek). I have a passion to teach Theology at a high level, but must I incur so much debt (or give up so much of my income/savings) to even just have a small chance of landing a lecturing/teaching role?

Long question put short: are there other routes to becoming a Theology lecturer apart from the financially burdensome route of half a decade's worth of seminary? Do you know anyone who has taken an alternative route?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Additional Information: I have recently enrolled in two courses at seminary, to begin next week. I recently graduated with a Bachelor of Arts (Economics, Philosophy). I have little to no interest in unaccredited education (I think it has a place, but I struggle to think it does so in academia). Also, I do not struggle with self-discipline (if such struggle did exist, the benefit of seminary would be greater).
I studied theology privately for nearly a decade before entering seminary. I know certain aspects of theology very well. However, I quickly learned upon starting seminary (I just finished my first year) that there was much that I had neglected. I pursued my own interests. A course of study in a seminary will give you a well-rounded education in all the disciplines of divinity--and if you don't have a well-rounded base in all these disciplines, you have no business teaching systematic theology, which requires one to be a masterful exegete and historical theologian.

Remember, if you think you're the exception to the rule, you're probably wrong. Have any theologians told you that you have the requisite knowledge to begin teaching prospective theologians?

At first glance, this question may come across as a no brainier, but I think its still worth asking. Do you need to have undertaken 5 to 7+ years of theological higher education to begin a career as a lecturer at seminary/university? With the rising costs of theological education, and with there being few jobs out there for theological graduates, it can often feel like the costs of such education far out-weigh the benefits (especially with the use of online resources and online bookstores, where one can effectively self-teach himself much of what is taught at seminary). I know many men who would testify that very little of that which they were taught at seminary couldn't be self-taught and learned within the context of the local church. As far as my own education goes, much of what I learned at university could've been self-taught at a much more effective speed at home; in fact, most of what I know about my own personal study areas came outside the university campus (besides Classical Greek). I have a passion to teach Theology at a high level, but must I incur so much debt (or give up so much of my income/savings) to even just have a small chance of landing a lecturing/teaching role?

Long question put short: are there other routes to becoming a Theology lecturer apart from the financially burdensome route of half a decade's worth of seminary? Do you know anyone who has taken an alternative route?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Additional Information: I have recently enrolled in two courses at seminary, to begin next week. I recently graduated with a Bachelor of Arts (Economics, Philosophy). I have little to no interest in unaccredited education (I think it has a place, but I struggle to think it does so in academia). Also, I do not struggle with self-discipline (if such struggle did exist, the benefit of seminary would be greater).
The bigger question is can one be a profitable bible teacher without high amount of formal education?

Some Americans trained here have gone there and we are happy to share these good brothers with you.
Some of the American pastors who have ministered here have struggled because the Reformed witness/fellowship here is significantly less than the USA. Part of this is population difference, part of this is because New Zealand is a more secular nation.

If you want a modern helpful resource on ministering in modern day New Zealand an esteemed minister of the Reformed Churches of New Zealand has written a very helpful book. It is free online https://www.rbc.org.nz/library/FeedMySheep.pdf

Your American students who desire to minister here would find it particularly helpful.

What a beautiful land, in so many ways, you have there and I look forward to visiting someday.
I am very blessed to have lived here and I do love the scenery of my native South Island :) But I bemoan how ungodly this nation is. If you are able to visit sometime I would love to meet you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back