Help with breakfast ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteppingHeavenward

Puritan Board Freshman
I am stuck in a serious rut when it comes to making breakfast... I usually fall back on eggs and hashbrowns. :um:

So... I'm looking for suggestions on how to add variety to the plan - ideas on inexpensive but healthful ways to mix up what is served. Or recipe ideas.

I love to cook, but getting up at 5 limits how elaborate the meal plan can be! Quick and easy is the key. Or frozen. I've considered making spinach quiche, but am afraid it may not freeze well (?)

We have to limit sausage/bacon for health concerns, cereals (hot/cold) don't got over too well, sweet/sugary things aren't really an option (except for fruits)... I need help!

We have two favorites Jennifer:

The German Puff Pancake (Also called a Dutch Pancake or Dutch Babies) and the Fiesta Skillet.

Here is the recipe for the pancake from Taste of Home.

You can use an iron skillet instead of a glass baking dish if you like.
If you don't have buttermilk on hand (who does?) you can stir 1 tablespoon of vinegar into a cup of milk and let it sit for a few minutes.

WARNING: You must make the Buttermilk syrup, it is the best BUT use a very tall pot because it really rises like a volcano when it's boiling for 7 minutes. Our first attempt boiled over and we had to replace the glass top of our range. Don't let this scare you, the syrup is worth it.

Some folks add apples to the pancake.

Fiesta Skillet:

Cook up about a pound of hamburg, drain and add taco seasoning. Put it in a casserole dish.

Cook up some hash browns and make this the next layer.

Scramble some eggs and put that layer on next.

Top it off with shredded cheese. I like Pepper Jack or a mix of cheeses.

Bake this until it's heated through and the cheese is melted.

Scoop some onto a plate and top with sour cream and salsa.

It's spicey but we love it.

The pancake is the easiest to throw together but the skillet can be assembled and refrigerated or even frozen until it's needed.

My husband grabs a granola bar every morning on the way to work, and my girls and I eat eggs (either scrambled or fried) and toast, but here are a couple of things we did when I was helping out in the school kitchen.

Have you ever done French Toast? or Cheese toast?

French Toast

Heat a skillet or pancake griddle
scramble 1 egg with a dab of milk
Dip dry bread in egg until both sides are covered
cook on preheated griddle until side is light brown, flip and cook on the other side

Serve with butter, pancake syrup, fruit, jam, jello or powerded sugar

Cheese toast is even easier.
Place cheese on top of slices of bread
Bake in the oven until cheese is melted
Serve plan or with apple butter

Thanks for the ideas! (And the warning, Bob... we have a brand new stove, and I don't think the landlord would be very happy about that accident! lol)

I don't know if I've ever really had grits - maybe once?? I'm probably at risk of being stoned for this comment, but they don't look too tasty. :um: I grew up eating a cereal called Cream of the West (grew up in MT) Cream of the West, Harlowton, Montana - Roasted Wheat, Roasted 7-Grain, Roasted Ranch Oats, Montana Crunch and 7-Grain Buttermilk Flapjack Mix Products
Good stuff, and one variety (looks like they don't make it anymore) resembled grits.

Anyhow - thank you!

Jennifer, I don't like grits either. All the attempts to southernize me in that aspect have failed. I made the mistake of putting 2 tablespoons of dry grits into the last batch of bread I made thinking that it might give it an interesting texture and flavor. It was interesting all right. YUCK. Now I am thinking of ways to finish of the bread as quickly as possible so I can make something that has a nicer flavor.

If you like pancakes and want to keep it simple, Cracker Barrel sells their mix in a bag. You just add water and they make very tasty pancakes. I've tried tons of pancake recipes and I haven't found one as good as their mix yet.

Last edited:
JBaldwin;

French Toast

cook on preheated griddle until side is light brown, flip and cook on the other side

Serve with butter, pancake syrup, fruit, jam, jello or powdered sugar

With the above, you can add a dash of Cinnamon to the scrambled egg/milk mixture

I buy the aunt Jemima pancake mix (just add water) my son makes those for breakfast before school..

If you have a waffle maker you could make waffles

JBaldwin;

French Toast

Serve with butter, pancake syrup, fruit, jam, jello or powdered sugar

With the above, you can add a dash of Cinnamon to the scrambled egg/milk mixture

I buy the aunt Jemima pancake mix (just add water) my son makes those for breakfast before school..

If you have a waffle maker you could make waffles

That's a good recipee, but I would add just a drop of vanilla to the mixture. It really adds alot to french toast.

:2cents:

Migas! You can form them into a breakfast casserole, cut into portions and freeze.

Basically, you need eggs scrambled with cheese and some veggies, like onions and peppers of your choosing and you toss shredded, softened, buttered corn tortillas into the mix. Form it into a casserole dish and top with grated cheese.

I bet spinach would go in there well, as does any form of salsa.

Migas! You can form them into a breakfast casserole, cut into portions and freeze.

Basically, you need eggs scrambled with cheese and some veggies, like onions and peppers of your choosing and you toss shredded, softened, buttered corn tortillas into the mix. Form it into a casserole dish and top with grated cheese.

I am coming over to your house for Breakfast.

I am coming over to your house for Breakfast.

Come on up! You know where Route 8 is! :lol:

Something that we make from time to time and our kids love is: Breakfast Pizza!

Use your favorite pizza crust, for sauce use cheese sauce (melted velveeta works fine too), crumble cooked bacon, eggs, sausage, etc, and put on as ingredients. Top with some shredded cheese of choice. Bake until cheese is melted and crust is cooked to how you like it. Scrumptious and fun!

Another breakfast casserole that we make and keep in the fridge is as follows. It is very flexible in ingredients and quite yummy.

Take all your stale or older bread, biscuits, cornbread, tortillas, etc. and crumble them into a bowl.
Saute some onion, bell pepper, chiles, whatever (even broccoli is good).
If you like add in some crumbled cooked bacon, sausage, chorizo, or boudin. (You don't have to do this if meat is an issue.)
Grate two cups of cheese. Real cheese, not Velveeta.

In another bowl beat a half dozen eggs for every large bowl ( ours is about twelve inches in circumference ) of bread crumbles.
Grease a pyrex baking dish.
Put the meat and veggies into the eggs. Stir them well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour the egg mixture into the bread. You want to get a stiff 'dough'. If it is too dry add milk while stirring until you get the right consistency. Fold in the cheese reserving about 1/2 cup.

Spread the dough into the pyrex cooking dish. Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until the top is golden.

Allow it to sit for about five minutes before cutting. It keeps very well in the fridge.

One word: Grits!

When I was 10 our teacher asked us what we had for breakfast and I said I had grits and living in the north was mocked by the teacher and the whole class,they had no idea what they were,never heard of them-too bad they didn't know what they were missing!

I enjoy Kashi Golean crunch cereal it's delicious with tons of fiber and protein

One word: Grits!

When I was 10 our teacher asked us what we had for breakfast and I said I had grits and living in the north was mocked by the teacher and the whole class,they had no idea what they were,never heard of them-too bad they didn't know what they were missing!

I enjoy Kashi Golean crunch cereal it's delicious with tons of fiber and protein

My grand daddy used to say that if we'd have had just one more sack of grits we would have won.

Here is a couple of links to the American Heart and Diabetes Association. They have meal ideas and I think recipes. here and here

I am stuck in a serious rut when it comes to making breakfast... I usually fall back on eggs and hashbrowns. :um:

So... I'm looking for suggestions on how to add variety to the plan - ideas on inexpensive but healthful ways to mix up what is served. Or recipe ideas.

I love to cook, but getting up at 5 limits how elaborate the meal plan can be! Quick and easy is the key. Or frozen. I've considered making spinach quiche, but am afraid it may not freeze well (?)

We have to limit sausage/bacon for health concerns, cereals (hot/cold) don't got over too well, sweet/sugary things aren't really an option (except for fruits)... I need help!

You just eliminated practically everything our family eats for breakfast. :)

I am pretty easy, two cups of dark coffee, sugar, splash of half&half.:) BREAKFAST!:) My Mum's family, are breakfast people! eggs bacon, the works! I take after My Pop's side on this, before 10 am coffee, thank you, JUST coffee, we love the "brunch" concept eggs and such after 10. May sound weird but, it is like that with most of my Paternal side! Some gene!:cool:

You can make a variety of pancake batters the night before and cook 'em up in the morning. Cornmeal pancakes sound weird but are actually very tasty, and much better if you let the batter sit for a few hours or overnight. With frozen berries you can make a fruit sauce/syrup instead of using nasty fake syrup or expensive maple syrup.

Spinach quiche freezes just fine. Put individual slices on a baking sheet and freeze an hour or so, til firm. Then wrap with aluminum foil and put in a plastic freezer bag (if the foil is thick and tight enough, that part's optional). When you're ready to serve it, unwrap it (don't thaw it) and bake for 25 minutes or so at 350.

If you want the cornmeal pancake recipe, or an excellent quiche lorraine recipe with a really easy pat-in-the-pan crust, let me know.

As the president of the *South-East New Brunswick Maple Producers Association* (True), I recomend that every week you should include Maple Syrup in your breakfast menue!

My own family enjoyed pancakes & maple syrup this morning!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back