How many children do you plan to have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Birth control is not so much a matter of good stewardship as it is a lack of faith.

I understand your point, but I would hesitate to make it a matter of faith or lack thereof. God uses means and our use of means does not equal a lack of faith any more than wearing a helmet when riding a bike.

Birth control has allowed us to adopt. I don't think this is a lack of faith.

wearing a helmet when riding a bike.

I cringe every time I hear the "wearing a helmet" or "wearing a seatbelt" analogy to birth control, since these things mitigate the risk of harm, injury, or terrible things. Children are not curses, but blessings.

I cringe every time I hear the "wearing a helmet" or "wearing a seatbelt" analogy to birth control, since these things mitigate the risk of harm, injury, or terrible things. Children are not curses, but blessings.

I used the comparison to emphasize means, not whether they are blessings or not.

Children are indeed a blessing, but it doesn't necessarily follow that he who has the most children is most blessed. I think that it is more prudent to have fewer children and be able to manage, instruct and lead them in godliness, not to mention have enough space for them and the resources to properly care for them.

In saying these things, by no means am I endorsing all forms of birth control, or not accepting God's Providence. I am only trying to emphasize God's providential care working out through means.

I understand your point, but I would hesitate to make it a matter of faith or lack thereof. God uses means and our use of means does not equal a lack of faith any more than wearing a helmet when riding a bike.

Tim,
I want to point out that the crux of Ed's argument is not the question of faith--it is the question of prerogatives. You haven't interacted with the essentials of his position.

Tim,
I want to point out that the crux of Ed's argument is not the question of faith--it is the question of prerogatives. You haven't interacted with the essentials of his position.

I'm not saying I disagree with Ed on everything he posted. I just think we should leave the point about a lack of faith out of the equation.

I see your point. As old as I am I am still open minded. At least a little. :)

Just added: You're still headed in the right direction. Adoption is a godly option.

Last edited:
I'm not saying I disagree with Ed on everything he posted. I just think we should leave the point about a lack of faith out of the equation.
I see. I think I can agree with you there.

The matter of faith would have to be dealt with on a case-by-case basis, I suppose. There certainly are some people who choose not to have children because they do lack faith in the provision of God. However, that motive shouldn't be imputed to everyone who chooses not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back