Moving Companies

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are all expensive! I worked for Atlas for awhile and learned very quickly that it was a big money game. From my experience the smaller local companies are significantly less expensive and sometimes you can get them to pack, load, and drive trucks that you rent (i.e. u-haul, budget, penske) which can be much more cost effective in some cases.
 
Benjamin, we have used Allied a couple of times but were disappointed. They weren't "bad" per se, just mediocre in the way they treated our stuff. When we were in Mississippi and moving to Atlanta, we used United/Mayflower and they were exceptionally good in packing, the way the treated our stuff, showing up on time, taking care of floors, etc.
 
A hearty, 'Amen!' to Tim's post. We have had excellent experience with United/Mayflower. Allied still owes me a settlement from years ago due to bad packing and sticky fingers.

Most of the time when we have moved it has been by our own hands. But, when churches have paid to move us it has been a blessing, except for that Allied fiasco.
 
Ben,

My experience has been that while the "brand" of moving company is important, it is more important to have a good local "franchisee." The best thing that you can do is talk to anyone you know who has moved from where you are now, and ask how their experience was. We had the worst experience ever in moving from Ohio to Mississippi (let's just say that we received thousands of dollars in refunds because of loss). But when we moved from Mississippi to Houston, we asked a friend who had moved from Jackson to Texas. We used the same company they did, and we were VERY happy.
 
Fred is right. The big moving companies all work the same way. The local guy (on both ends), and the movers he hires, is what makes the difference.

Also, you want to try to time it so your stuff leaves and arrives about the time you do. This is trickier than it would sound, since moving companies want their trucks to be full. If your stuff only fills half a truck, they may have you wait around while they accommodate another customer who's sharing your truck, or they may move your furniture from West Virginia to Mississippi by way of Minneapolis. Even if your stuff fills a whole truck, they may time their arrival to fit the needs of their next customer on the Mississippi end. So which company you pick may depend on what other customers they happen to have and how well they can accommodate your preferred dates.
 
Jack is right about the moving companies wanting to "fill up" the truck. However, we've moved three times with moving companies, and they realize that if you are moving to Middle-of-Nowhere USA, the chances of the truck filling up are slim, and they will consent deliver more in line with your schedule if they think another company will get the job instead. In fact, when we moved from Atlanta to Louisville, our stuff was the only stuff on the truck, and we ran into the problem that the truck might actually beat us here. The Missus had to leave a day ahead of me so someone would be present for unloading.
 
Can't remember off the top of my head the name of the company I used when moving from Atlanta to St Louis. But I asked them several times to increase my weight allowance due to many heavy books. They refused to do so and arrogantly assured me they were the experts in this. Needless, to say I was way over the weight limit and got stung to pay up more than the agreed amount.
I have heard good things about ABF/U Pack.
 
Can't remember off the top of my head the name of the company I used when moving from Atlanta to St Louis. But I asked them several times to increase my weight allowance due to many heavy books. They refused to do so and arrogantly assured me they were the experts in this. Needless, to say I was way over the weight limit and got stung to pay up more than the agreed amount.
I have heard good things about ABF/U Pack.

I forgot about this. Something similar happened to us with Allied. They were trying to give a lowball estimate so that we would go with them. They did eventually listen to me and increased the estimated weight, but it was still more than than they thought.
 
They never believe how many books we have when we tell them over the phone, even with numbering the bookcases. Once the estimator comes out, it gets more accurate, but we had trouble getting some to come out in person.
 
Get everything in writing, including all services. Unless your friends are moving you, nothing should be done on a handshake in this business. I had several contracts that included unpacking and removing packing materials only to have the people in my new town say they've never heard of such an arrangement. Funny how fast they change their tune when you haul out a contract. Include that they will deliver the items to your new location at the price you have agreed to. (Sounds basic, but companies have gotten away with holding people's stuff hostage until the people moving put up additional money for "fees" or underestimates.)

Also, many carriers include some type of basic insurance, but likely will pay a set amount for the type of item (sofa, dish etc.) It is reasonable to expect to pay additional insurance costs for antiques or other valuables (or carry them in your car if you can). Also, stick close to the items you care about: I was appalled to find that an antique table had been taken apart.

I found those plastic bins with tops especially handy when trying to make sure certain items stayed together and packed the way I wanted them packed.
 
I found those plastic bins with tops especially handy when trying to make sure certain items stayed together and packed the way I wanted them packed.

Be sure and put seals and zipties on the bins so that they will either not be opened or you will know it if they are. Catalogue and photograph all contents. Number them or in some other way identify each individual bin and then take their pictures after you have sealed them. If you are having the company do the packing this is critical. Otherwise they may well unpack it and repack 'more efficiently'. Also, the items inside will not have those wonderful little inventory stickers on them that they use to catalogue all your worldly possessions. ( I just found one on the bottom of a chair yesterday. Our last move was almost thirteen years ago. ) You will need to provide them with a copy of the contents and values or you will be up a creek if anything happens.
 
Otherwise they may well unpack it and repack 'more efficiently'.
Very true! I found some moving guys trying to dump stuff out of my bins and into their boxes. Arg! I have sewing gear (read: lots of little items) and favorite things that are not necessarily valuable, but worth my taking care of -- in other words, claims wouldn't likely have been much of an issue.

During packing -- whether yourself or the movers -- keep markers handy at all times to antidote any information on the box, particularly about future room locations etc. and maybe a quick note: "LR table lamp." Otherwise, you may spend a lot of time hauling stuff up and down stairs, etc. in your new home.

I am grateful to not have made a major move in quite a long time now. I used to make long moves every couple of years, like between Virginia and California, etc.
 
I used ABF U-Pack to move from St. Louis to Edmonton, Canada. They're pricey, but it's worth it if it's a long move (like ours was). Not having to drive the truck for four days is a big help. If it's a short move, I'd recommend just renting a truck. U-Haul is good if you get a newer truck. But a lot of their fleet is now bordering on ancient.
 
If you can get your own truck and have friends help you move, I heartily recommend Penske. Their trucks are always newer (they retire them after a certain amount of miles, perhaps 80,000), and they have good prices with no hidden fees. They also have AAA discount.

Always get the insurance, too. If you ding something, you don't pay extra.
 
If you can get your own truck and have friends help you move, I heartily recommend Penske. Their trucks are always newer (they retire them after a certain amount of miles, perhaps 80,000), and they have good prices with no hidden fees. They also have AAA discount.

Always get the insurance, too. If you ding something, you don't pay extra.

I definitely agree. When Anna and I were first married and moving to SC to attend seminary, we rented a Penske truck and were VERY pleased. In contrast, we rented a U-Haul once for an across-town move. It was leaking oil and stained the driveway. We did get the insurance though, and we were thankful -- I managed to hit one of those mortared mailboxes with one of the fenders. Insurance = no problem
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top