Podcast Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have also had growing discomfort with James White's podcasts (and I have listened to them for nearly 2 decades). I also find his debate mode off-putting. I would acknowledge he is very gifted in what he does but ongoing negative criticism of other Christians can have an affect on ones attitude.

I also second Pergamum's warning about less experienced pastors. I can say I find Al Mohler's programs (thinking in public and the briefing), and the Reformed Forum both very helpful.

Yes. I did not mean to single out James White. He does certain things very well, when he is not battling other Christians. There are many worse podcasts I have in mind. Some of the programs out there on marriage and the family are far worse and are often done by people who have not even been succesful in relationships themselves. And many women bloggers - even the "Reformed" women - are often tainted by Western culture and are often pushing feminist viewpoints (feminism-lite). And many youtube and Facebook and podcast celebrities get famous for preaching AGAINST stuff. They have their daily rants. And they attack a topic on every program. I think a steady diet of that "Against-Stuff-ism" is not good for the constitution of folks like me. It can encourage people to become more belligerent. Of course, if I had my own podcast I'd be very tempted to "go off" and rant against much of what I see today (just as I am doing here on the PB right now). But I'd prefer to be more irenic (but that takes work...it is hard to be gentle).

And many popular preachers won't preach on hell, but they'll try to push left-wing social issues and say such things like "Mary was an unwed mother" and "Jesus was a brown-skinned refugee" and "us Christians, if we wanted to be truly loving, must support immigration", etc. Those who have the money to push such dreck are often funded by Globalists. Even Al Mohler harbors the Cultural Marxist Russell Moore who has been part of open immigration forums funded by George Soros, and Mohler supports him and the ERLC on many questionable issues. I don't want mouthpieces of Soros or Social Leftists contaminating my airwaves. Even Al Mohler on marriage has said that a man must earn his way into the marriage bed of his wife.

So I am very selective on what I listen to. Generally I am a cynic and suspicious of people perhaps and quick to write them off. Of course, I generally like podcasts by people who agree with me fully on all of my own viewpoints and can thus become an echo-chamber for my own views, reinforcing the belief that I am always correct. :)

There are several people here on the PB I would definitely listen to if they did podcasts (perhaps Q and A format).
 
Second on Mortification of Spin and Reformed Forum.

If you want a decent podcast from another tradition, there's a Lutheran one called Thinking Fellows which is pretty interesting (And has Rod Rosenbladt from the WHI as well).

Mortification of Spin was alright at first but has been seriously compromised by Aimee Byrd joining. She is a feminist who has an agenda which she couches in "conservative" buzz words and argumentation, but it's nothing but liberal feminist ideology.

I was going to use as just one example an article she posted on the Mortification of Spin blog last year on the Kavanaugh episode, in response to an analysis written by Anthony Esolen. Her response was snarky and emotional (from a woman, who'd have thunk it?). Looking back she has since written another article whining about yet another man who had the temerity to point out the blindingly obvious: our churches have become feminised to the extreme, dominated by women numerically which has led to a feminine culture, feminised male leadership (if not just allowing women to take over) which in turn only results in fewer and fewer men attending church. But Aimee can't have this! (Does the writer of the article offer a few cringey arguments? Yes. Does Aimee have the maturity of mind to ignore these and engage with the substantive point? Of course not.)

Yes, of course she was brought on the show as a diversity hire. But that's not good enough, especially in the area of theology. She has been given a platform by a respected organisation amongst (moderately) conservative groups to promote her unbiblical philosophy.

But apart from her, there are problems with Carl and Todd. Like many of these "reformed bro" podcasts they like to affect this edgy, controversial posture (in the sense that they're speaking Reformed truth to an evangelicalism that has become vague and worldly) but I've never heard them take one truly counter-cultural position: not on so-called Christmas, not on Halloween, not on worship. They are compromisers. Personally, I think you'd be better staying far away.

Reformed Forum is, overall, good (when they stay off the beer). They have some excellent episodes, and many very good ones.
 
Brother Alexander,

I've had some disagreements with MoS myself over the years, but I believe that you have made quite the charge in your post, and I lovingly urge you to reconsider how close you are coming to violating the 9th commandment with regard to your statements (see WLC, Q 143-145). I can respect you as a brother in Christ if you see it differently, but I could not help but perceive negativity in your submission. I'm open to correction/dialogue if you are so inclined.

Moderators/Admins,

I would ask that you please monitor closely instances where public posts from brothers and sisters in the Lord on this board could possibly be mischaracterizing the views, beliefs, stances and motives of other brothers and sisters in the Lord. I am also open to correction/rebuke/clarity from you if it is necessary.

Every Blessing in Christ,

Craig
 
There was meant to be negativity in my post. Mortification of Spin is giving a platform to unbliblical, feminist ideology. If you think I have misrepresented Aimee Byrd's positions please show me where.
 
Brother Alexander,

Understood, and fair enough. I didn't engage you with the intention of defending Aimee, Todd or Carl, neither is it my intent to spark any sort of debate with you. I'll simply say this, all you've done in your post is accuse her of being a feminist, being snarky, being emotional and being whiny and immature in her writing. I'd say the burden of proof to provide more substantial evidence of that claim, other than merely your opinion, is upon you.

As promised, I still respect you as my brother in Christ, even in disagreement of how you may have framed your post. Whether or not you decide to clarify/respond/elaborate is totally up to you, but either way you have the last word brother.

Grace and Peace,

Craig
 
Her response was snarky and emotional (from a woman, who'd have thunk it?).
Moderator Note:

Let's not commit ninth commandment violations by sarcastically implying women are generally "snarky" and "emotional." Our duty is to extend the greatest amount of charity possible towards another, including supplying linked (quoted) context of content that is under discussion and dispute for examination by all. If we cannot, we must refrain from even speaking/commenting and examine ourselves for the reasons why we cannot muster what we are commanded to do.
End Moderator Note
 
Craig,

Without wishing to turn this into a debate I'll just say that I referenced two recent articles by her, the tone of which is self-evident.

Ask Mr. Religion- I don't believe I have violated the 9th Commandment in that remark. It's an obvious jocular generalisation based on reality. There are traits which characterise the sexes. Emotionalism and an inability to analyse in a detached fashion is characteristic of women. This characteristic has been observed by the religious and atheistical writers down through the generations and it is the refusal of the church, and the right, to acknowledge this which has contributed greatly to the problems we are facing today.
 
I tried to get into Reformed Forum, but I find it kinda dry. Although, this was an excellent episode....


Also, Pastor Tipton, a frequent guest, is my pastor, so I’m blessed to sit under his preaching and commentary live in the flesh.

MoS is a bit wishy washy, although I really like Todd Pruitt....

Did anyone mention Presbycast? I just came across it....is it worth my time?
 
Last edited:
I don't have anything in particular against Aimee Byrd, but I agree that the show (Mortification of Spin) became much less interesting when she joined it. Admittedly, I probably haven't listened in more than a year so it's possible things have changed, but it seemed like the discussions and topics lost a lot of their depth once she joined. Carl's academic and social commentary is the real draw of the show and it feels like it was diluted considerably with the addition of a lay-person--even a reasonably well-informed one. Todd and particularly Carl always bring an air of considered scholarship to the topics they discuss. Aimee, not as much. Todd and Carl's banter, which I always found humorous, was also seemingly softened with the addition of the fairer sex to the show.
 
Last edited:
Did anyone mention Presbycast? I just came across it....is it worth my time?
I really enjoy them. They have a deadpan delivery and sarcasm. All in all, I’ve learned a lot. It probably isn’t everyone’s flavor.


Man! I have a lot to wade through. Keep ‘em coming!
 
I tried to get into Reformed Forum, but I find it kinda dry. Although, this was an excellent episode....


Also, Pastor Tipton, a frequent guest, is my pastor, so I’m blessed to sit under his preaching and commentary live in the flesh.

MoS is a bit wishy washy, although I really like Todd Pruitt....

Did anyone mention Presbycast? I just came across it....is it worth my time?

Love Presbycast.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Re. Mortification Of Spin, I enjoy listening to it usually, and I like Aimee, Carl, and Todd a lot.

This is from memory, but a guest on MOS a few years ago was critiquing a "patriarchy movement" within Reformed, esp. Reformed Baptist circles. Among other issues she had with such a movement was the notion, developed I think by Sam Waldron as well as others, that the man is a sort of "priest" of his house.

Pruitt and Byrd seemed appalled at the notion, as "Jesus is the believer's only priest" in this dispensation. Which is, of course, true in an ultimate sense. They both seemed unaware, however, that there is a long tradition of the father functioning as priest to his family in the Reformed and Lutheran traditions. Trueman, no doubt, was aware of this and said nothing.

(edited for clarity, per Bill's comment)
 
Last edited:
Re. MOS, I enjoy listening to it usually, and I like Aimee, Carl, and Todd a lot.

Nonetheless, I was amused a few years back when they had a guest on--I forget whom--discussing patriarchy in Reformed churches, esp. Reformed Baptists.

The guest, a woman, mentioned that this RB patriarchy movement asserted, among other terrible things, that the man functioned as priest in his family. Aimee and Todd affected horror, since of course, "Jesus is our only priest now."

Trueman said... nothing. Probably because he was well aware that the position that the man functions as priest of his family has a rather long and distinguished Reformed and Lutheran pedigree.
I'm sorry for being a little slow, but can you develop your point some more.
 
Have never listened to Presbycast. I got into Reformed Forum through their episodes on the Simplicity and Impassibility of God, which were excellent deep dive discussions. That sort of thing they do really well. Sometimes it seems like they're going through the motions just to produce an episode every week though. They also have some regular guests who I have a problem with, but others- like Dolezal- who are always interesting (in the areas they specialise in). As with MoS, I think they're weakest when they deal with "hot button" issues like festivals and worship. They'll get into the subject in a more in-depth manner,but they don't really commit to a position (or they commit to the wrong one) so I find that a bit of a cop-out. (Not that the impassibility of God isn't a "controversial" topic, but it doesn't have the cultural sensitivity that so-called christmas has.)
 
[QUOTE="alexandermsmith, post: 1191223, member: 9291" I got into Reformed Forum through their episodes on the Simplicity and Impassibility of God, which were excellent deep dive discussions. That sort of thing they do really well. Sometimes it seems like they're going through the motions just to produce an episode every week though. They also have some regular guests who I have a problem with, but others- like Dolezal- who are always interesting (in the areas they specialise in).
I suppose you are talking about "Christ the Center", the one hosted by Camden Bucey. Yes, they have guests quite often from differing positions. You have to be fairly firm in understanding to know that they are not advocating the other persons doctrinal argument but are rather allowing the listener to balance their own understanding with direct, from the horses mouth, contrast. Kind of like what Fox News claims to be, "Fair and Balanced", but is not.
 
He has very dangerous views on how a prosepctive communicant should be examined by his session and on the preaching of ministers such as the Tennents and Frelinghuysen.
 
Can you refer me to anywhere he makes reference to these things so I can be aware. I listen to him often on Christ the Center and he is a faculty member of the OPC Ministerial Training Institute. I'm OPC in mind PCA in body. So I'm always interested in other's opinions.
 
Please excuse my ignorance. What are their views on preaching? I have read sermons by both gentlemen but am not aware of their views in question.

The complaint certain people have with these ministers is, for one thing, their use of so-called "categorical" preaching whereby the minister applies the teaching of the sermon to particular categories of people in the congregation: the spiritually dead, the seeking, the new believer, the experienced believer &c. rather than addressing the congregation as if these differences don't exist. I certainly don't advocate a rigid formula whereby this is followed in every sermon but rather that these real distinctions should be applied as appropriate.

This discussion may be going off on a tangent from what the original poster was looking for. If one of the moderators thinks it should continue elsewhere that's fine with me, althoug hreally I just wanted to give my thoughts on the particular podcasts. As I said earlier: Reformed Forum, Christ the Center particulalry, is a good podcast and there's lots of helpful, interesting content there.
 
I have only arrived on this thread, but, without necessarily agreeing with everything Alexander has said, I think that he is on to something in relation to Aimee Byrd. I recall a podcast on the patriarchy movement wherein she was criticising all these terrible things that the "patriarchy" believed and Carl Trueman noted that much of it was fairly mainstream opinion among conservative Christians.

While the influence of Cultural Marxism on New Calvinism has most clearly come out of late in relation to race, I think it is also showing itself in how so-called complementarians address gender relations. Indeed, I saw one New Calvinist leader a while back insinuate that Christian husbands who expect submission from their wives were acting like their wives should be justified by works. I have also seen it implied that husbands are "selfish" for marrying to fulfil needs, and the notion of a husband's "servant leadership" is being used by some to undermine what male headship really entails.
 
Last edited:
Reformed Covenant - Good points. Some people will claim to hold to "complementarianism" (which, let's be honest, is a rather naff term but I suppose we have to make do) but when one digs a little deeper they don't seem to be holding this doctrine to any great degree. Often it doesn't extend any further than exclusive male leadership in the church and even that can sometimes be qualified. One sees this in the conservative movement at large today where it has become very trendy to say "there are only two genders" but but then reject any actual real world consequences of there being two distinct sexes. Cultural marxists have had a long time to perfect their ability to distort and subvert language. We must always be on our guard.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top