Question on the Lord's Supper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regi Addictissimus

Completely sold out to the King
Good day, brethren. I was recently asked if I've ever come across in my studies on whether the elements of the Lord's Supper can be administered outside of the church, by the church government, in cases of illnesses and when an individual is bedridden. I have searched my Systematic Theology books and Hodge's commentary on the Confession of Faith. I'm not seeing this being addressed anywhere. Has anyone read anything about this or come across this scenario? If you have read this topic being addressed, can you send me a quote? Thanks for your time in advance.
In Christ,
Robert

Last edited:
The church is not necessarily tied to a specific address, but the sacrament would be administered to the church during worship (i.e. a gathering of the local congregation with at least the bare minimum of an order of worship). A decision to administer would be made by a court and publicized/fenced as provided for in the relevant BOCO.

I've thought about this because our older members become so isolated. It seems we could meet the provision without falling into the private observance errors of our Lutheran and Anglican brothers.

I have from time to time taken the Lord's Supper to people who are permanently physically prevented from being with the rest of the body on Sunday. It is essentially a home service, with praise, prayer, scripture, preaching and benediction (albeit somewhat truncated since it is in someone's livingroom). Typically, my wife, an elder and often one or two others have been present, so it isn't private communion. This person is a member of Christ's church who is not under church discipline, so why should poor health effectively excommunicate them? They can listen to our sermons online, but they can't take the Lord's Supper online.

I have from time to time taken the Lord's Supper to people who are permanently physically prevented from being with the rest of the body on Sunday. It is essentially a home service, with praise, prayer, scripture, preaching and benediction (albeit somewhat truncated since it is in someone's livingroom). Typically, my wife, an elder and often one or two others have been present, so it isn't private communion. This person is a member of Christ's church who is not under church discipline, so why should poor health effectively excommunicate them? They can listen to our sermons online, but they can't take the Lord's Supper online.
Dr. Duguid, I hope you are well. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I wholeheartedly agree with you. The types of scenarios we discussed were in the case of elderly and the sick who can't make it for the service. Also, I received your response to my private message. My schedule got crazy with my job, teaching Sunday school, and the pulpit committee. I will be in touch soon. I really look forward to connecting with you. I was actually discussing your sermon on Psalm 23 with my elders and pastor last night. I found it thoroughly edifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back