Visiting a United Methodist Church Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also grew up in the UMC. It is on the whole apostate. But there are conservative miniters and congregations in the UMC inspite of the heiarchy being real liberal. I have a friend in Michigan who is a very conservative Methodist preacher who preaches the gospel of salvation by grace through faith. But he tends to be Arminian, as do any conservtive UM paster. Remeber the church was started by the Wesleys. They were Arminian but were referred to as "almost Calvinists".

But he tends to be Arminian, as do any conservtive UM paster.

No quite "all".

Remeber the church was started by the Wesleys.

Not just the Wesley's, the largest Methodist Church outside of London in the early period of Methodism was pastored by a Calvinist who also was there at the beginning of the Methodist Church. But, poor ole George is just forgotten by so many people.

I grew up as a United Methodist and was involved in decision-making bodies at the local, state, regional, and global levels. Practically all of what was said on this board is true. The United Methodist Church has a lot of variety within the local church setting. A church in New York City you would see pro-gay, social gospel, "Christless" Christianity running rampant. On the other hand, a rural church in the Bible belt could offer a typical run-of-the-mill evangelical experience. While every now and then, you will find one that, although Arminian, has gospel-centered, Biblical teaching to a degree (excluding, of course, violations of Biblical worship found in many churches: even conservative, evangelical ones).

There is a significant group of individuals seeking to reform the United Methodist Church (among them The Institute on Religion & Democracy and The Confessing Movement.)

While the United Methodist Church will most likely never return to the days of John Wesley, I actually do not predict the same future as the PCUSA, Episcopal, and Lutheran churches. While these three are practically tripping over themselves in an effort to ordain homosexuals (the most recent being the PCUSA this week), their one difference with the UMC is constituency. They are USA-based while the United Methodist Church is a global church with significant (and rapidly growing) membership in Africa and Asia. What you see globally is an evangelical, conservative, church. Delegates from these areas consistently vote in favor of Biblical social issues and the Gospel. One delegate from Africa even saying during a debate on homosexuality that when he was a kid, he remembers Methodist evangelists bringing the Gospel to his village and now it seems that they are reminding the church of the very same Gospel. I believe that liberals in the church will be frustrated by their inability to accomplish their agenda and there will be a split.

However, this doesn't address an unbiblical model of church structure and organization, regulative principle, etc. We see these same things in other more "acceptable" Christian denominations and circles as well.

My wife just told me I've written a book and so it seems - sorry for being so wordy. It's just the UMC has a special place in my walk with the Lord - in His providence God found me, saved me, and grew me all while an active member (and even elected official) in The United Methodist Church. (In case anyone cares, I wrote an article on Why I Left The United Methodist Church here).

Ralph, I think you're judgment on the UMC globally (re: growth in Africa and Asia) is accurate. I think the UMC will likely go more in the direction of the Anglican Communion in that USA-faithful churches will break from the UMC and group with Methodists in Africa and Asia. I remember the 2004 (?) global meeting was a little hairy (due to post-9/11 issues) because of visa issues for foreign delegates - if they weren't able to get to the meeting, the liberal constituency would have been heavier and would have been able to pass the liberal agenda. Anyhow, I resonate with your thoughts and your heart, probably because we have similar stories and experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back