What is your favorite Bible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ Spencer

Puritan Board Freshman
I know that this has been asked on the Puritan Board before, but it's been almost two years since it was last asked and many new Bibles have come out since that time.

I enjoy the ESV Thompson Chain, and the ESV single column large print journaling Bible. I can't wait till Crossway comes out with their ESV Credo Bible, it will be much more affordable than the other credo Bible.

The Premier Collection of Thomas Nelson’s NKJV Single-Column Reference Bible in brown goatskin. I received a copy this year from my wife when it was on sale and if I could only own one Bible this would be it.

Speaking of Thompson Chains, I noticed they ran another printing of the NKJV recently after that edition had been unavailable for quite sometime.

Allan NASB R-1...from a few years ago when they were still only 1" thick and in the highland goatskin :)

I know that this has been asked on the Puritan Board before, but it's been almost two years since it was last asked and many new Bibles have come out since that time.

I enjoy the ESV Thompson Chain, and the ESV single column large print journaling Bible. I can't wait till Crossway comes out with their ESV Credo Bible, it will be much more affordable than the other credo Bible.
Esv Study Bible
Reformed Study Bible

I recently bought the Reformation Heritage KJV and has become my favorite Bible. For TR/MT/KJV preferred folks, I think this is the "it" Bible. However, I've been recommending it in general. The notes and articles offer helpful theological insights and a healthy dose of experiential Calvinism. The Bible also includes the creeds and confessions!

I'm still searching. I had to hot glue my Westminster Reference Bible back together, and the soft calfskin isn't as pretty as it used to be. Not to mention that the marker ribbons are all frayed.

I'm looking for a bible with some durability, that won't look or feel shabby after 5 or 6 years!

I'm still searching. I had to hot glue my Westminster Reference Bible back together, and the soft calfskin isn't as pretty as it used to be. Not to mention that the marker ribbons are all frayed.

I'm looking for a bible with some durability, that won't look or feel shabby after 5 or 6 years!

Invest some money in an Allan, Shuyler, or the like: https://evangelicalbible.com/.

You will want a Smith sewn binding. (The Reformation Heritage KJV is Smith sewn).

I spend my work days flipping through a Bible, checking references, as I work. So I need books that will lie flat whatever passage I turn to and will fit in the usually cluttered space between my monitor and keyboard, with room to flip pages, no interference when I type, and print large enough to check with a glance. Oh, and cheap, since I could wear it out in about a year.

The best one I currently have is this NIV compact large print imitation leather book, surprisingly good on all counts. I'm not necessarily recommending the translation, but it's one of many I need to have on hand. The ESV I'm currently using is too big and overhangs my keyboard. I need to replace it with one more compact, since it's the translation I use most and I'm getting annoyed with the book. Or, I suppose I could clear more desk space...

Bible space.jpg

Claudiu, you don't understand--I want the quality WITHOUT having to pay for it. ;)

I'll probably get a CBP bible next. If that doesn't satisfy, I'll buckle and get an Allan Longprimer.

I want a CBP bible as well! What size are you looking to get?

I really enjoy the Reformation Heritage KJV Study Bible. I've recently started enjoying the KJV for my private study. I have a thinline ESV in raw leather for Lord's Days since that's the translation used at my local body. It's nice because the format is the same as the pew Bibles. ;)

I recently bought the Reformation Heritage KJV and has become my favorite Bible. For TR/MT/KJV preferred folks, I think this is the "it" Bible. However, I've been recommending it in general. The notes and articles offer helpful theological insights and a healthy dose of experiential Calvinism. The Bible also includes the creeds and confessions!
Brother, this brings me great joy to hear. Your support is very much appreciated.

I have had the Reformation Heritage KJV Study Bible for a couple of years. I use it every day, and it is holding up very well. Considering the price, I'm very satisfied with the quality.

The Reformation Heritage KJV Study Bible includes helpful introductions to each book and very useful notes. I also appreciate that included at the back are the creeds and confessions, as well as short historical summaries of Church history through the centuries.

The Bible that I bring to church every week is this one published by HarperCollins. It's nothing fancy, but as a handy Bible I'm very pleased with it. It has held up well against several years of being dragged everywhere. (It helps that I keep it in the cardboard case.) I love that it has black text throughout. It's also always on sale on the Book Depository, for whatever reason.

I cannot decide on a single favorite, I have more than a few that fall in that classification.
If anyone isn't aware of it, and is on Facebook, check out the group, 'Everything Bibles.'
It, among other similar groups is a good place to find obscure editions you might be searching for.
Good reviews on current premium Bibles as well.

I really enjoy the Reformation Heritage KJV Study Bible. I've recently started enjoying the KJV for my private study. I have a thinline ESV in raw leather for Lord's Days since that's the translation used at my local body. It's nice because the format is the same as the pew Bibles. ;)

Raw leather? You mean the cow is still attached? That's gotta be awkward.

I have an ESV large print thinline edition, which I've used constantly since I bought it almost 5 years ago (February, 2015). The print is 10.5-point, which is very nice for my 67-year-old eyes.

Another shameless plug for the Reformation Heritage KJV! That beauty accompanied me on my last deployment, and I cannot say enough how wonderful it was to possess such a great study Bible while abroad. I guess this one became "the one" because there was a time where it was literally the only one I had available!

It would be a close tie between Allan's Longprimer and the Brevier Clarendon. For preaching, the Longprimer's text is bold, clear, and elegant. And for portability (i.e. small) with a typesetting that's easy on the eyes for pastoral visits and travel, the Brevier Clarendon is perfect.

Last edited:
I did not take you for a red letter man:stirpot:
Lol I'm not, but the Turquoise with top-grain cowhide only comes in a red letter. I could do black letter if I went with the calfskin, but I'd rather have the tougher leather. I can handle the red letter.

I also still have a 1979Ryrie Bible, first leather Bible bought after saved, and is in morecean leather, never seen a Ryrie in that anywhere since!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back