What is your favorite Bible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also still have a 1979Ryrie Bible, first leather Bible bought after saved, and is in morecean leather, never seen a Ryrie in that anywhere since!
Depending on which translation, and condition of course, there are people who would pay handsomely for that Ryrie. The NASB, and the NKJV particularly are sought after in fine condition.

I'm juggling two favorites right now- Allan Longprimer (KJV) and TBS Westminster Reference, Large Print.

Allow me to plug the Westminster Large Print here... All of the references, calf skin cover and nice layout with a whopping 11.8 text font. The words jump out at you. Helpful as the eyes aren't what they once were. And surprisingly it isn't uncomfortably large. Not even as thick as the Longprimer, just slightly wider dimensions. For under $100 it's hard to beat.

I also still have a 1979Ryrie Bible, first leather Bible bought after saved, and is in morecean leather, never seen a Ryrie in that anywhere since!

Depending on which translation, and condition of course, there are people who would pay handsomely for that Ryrie. The NASB, and the NKJV particularly are sought after in fine condition.

Wow. David, you need to sell that Ryrie to a wealthy dispensationalist and get yourself something nice. Sure beats taking a sharpie to your name in the presentation page and "accidentally" forgetting it under your pew at church.

Jimmy, is there a market for old Scofield Reference Bibles? Maybe I can pull mine off my "shelf of shame" in the dark corner of my basement and sell it with David's Ryrie in a lot auction.

Allow me to plug the Westminster Large Print here... All of the references, calf skin cover and nice layout with a whopping 11.8 text font. The words jump out at you. Helpful as the eyes aren't what they once were. And surprisingly it isn't uncomfortably large. Not even as thick as the Longprimer, just slightly wider dimensions. For under $100 it's hard to beat.

I agree! I’m very thankful for my Westminster Reference Bible, and I particularly appreciate the option to get the Psalms of David in Metre additionally in the back!

I agree! I’m very thankful for my Westminster Reference Bible, and I particularly appreciate the option to get the Psalms of David in Metre additionally in the back!

I miss my Westminster. I need to get one again. Do you sing the psalms with accompaniment or some kind of aid?

Wow. David, you need to sell that Ryrie to a wealthy dispensationalist and get yourself something nice. Sure beats taking a sharpie to your name in the presentation page and "accidentally" forgetting it under your pew at church.

Jimmy, is there a market for old Scofield Reference Bibles? Maybe I can pull mine off my "shelf of shame" in the dark corner of my basement and sell it with David's Ryrie in a lot auction.
Funny you should ask, and interesting how different the same object can be viewed by one or another. My first Bible was a 'New' Scofield reference personal size. I still have it. All marked up from when I used to do that 40 years ago.

I was reading John MacArthur on 'how to study the Bible', and he mentioned that his first one was a .... wait for it ... New Scofield reference which he used until it fell completely apart. I mentioned to my pastor this past Lord's Day that it is interesting to hear J Mac quote Scripture.

He always does so in KJV English, though none of his study Bibles were published in the KJV, and last I heard he preaches from the NASB.

I have a minty 1917 morocco bound Oxford Scofield nearly like new in the original box. I may someday put it up in an auction.

I miss my Westminster. I need to get one again. Do you sing the psalms with accompaniment or some kind of aid?
I do not use any accompaniment, no; and my wife and I also sing Psalms in the evening without instruments.

Our congregation uses the Book of Psalms for Worship from Crown & Covenant - psalter.org is a great resource for that, and they have many of their recordings on Spotify.

I own quite a few Bibles and translations, but I always find myself going back to the ESV thinline, and I say unashamedly the NLT value large print slimline as well.

Schuyler NKJV, paragraph, single column, words of the HS in black. I am not a fan of the font for the digit "6", and I wish they didn't capitalize divine pronouns.

That Bible has many personal notes in it, so will keep it!

I know that this has been asked on the Puritan Board before, but it's been almost two years since it was last asked and many new Bibles have come out since that time.

I enjoy the ESV Thompson Chain, and the ESV single column large print journaling Bible. I can't wait till Crossway comes out with their ESV Credo Bible, it will be much more affordable than the other credo Bible

What is my favorite Bible?
Why the ESV of course.

It has so many redeeming qualities. I love the gender-neutral approach. It's about time we got these girls as involved as boys in religion.

Plus, or should I say minus, there's a bunch of scary verses in the King James Bible that are not in the ESV. So I just plain sleep better at night.

Think how scary Mark 6:11 is with the following phrase, "Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city." Pretty scary stuff.

Then there's Mark 9 verses 44 and 46 where the warning adds these really scary words, "Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched."
The phrase is repeated twice as if once wasn't enough. Scary.

Consider also Matthew 18:11. Oh, I forgot there is no verse 11 in the ESV. I'm glad to get some of this false teaching out of my head. In the King James version, verse 11 says, "For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost." And to think I liked that verse for so long.

In the good old days, Matthew 27:35 included the phrase, "that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots." Man, it's good to get some of this false teaching out of my mind where it's been bouncing around for 45 years.

Let's look at Luke 17:36. Oops, I forgot there is no more verse 36. It used to say, "Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left." I sleep a lot better at night these days knowing that that verse is not part of the Bible.

Well, that's just a brief sample of why I like the ESV so much.

All joking aside, I am now reading the ESV cover to cover for the second time. It definitely has some benefits and explanations of some of the more obscure verses in the King James version. But every time I open it up, I mumble under my breath, "I really don't like this translation."

Last edited:
What is my favorite Bible?
Why the ESV of course.

All joking aside, I am now reading the ESV cover to cover for the second time. It definitely has some benefits and explanations of some of the more obscure verses in the King James version. But every time I open it up, I mumble under my breath, "I really don't like this translation."

I like the KJV as well. I only use three translations the KJV, ESV, and the NASB. I do think there is some benefit to reading the newer translations (ESV and NASB) such as inclusion of the dead sea scroll and other manuscripts that were found after the publishing of the KJV. Some say they struggle with the language found in the KJV, although I don't struggle with this at all. The church that I attend uses the ESV primarily so it is my go to translation.

We all know that if you look at the original Hebrew for the phrase “The Word of the Lord” it literally means “The NKJV Translation”. :stirpot:

Last edited:
Until this month I had never read from the NKJV much. I was always primarily a KJV reader with a little bit of NIV and ESV mixed in. However, in just a few weeks time I've really grown to appreciate the NKJV. As a plus, there are some really high-quality options in this translation today, which didn't exist not too long ago.

I'm aware of the critique TBS has made available here, but I'm also aware there is no perfect translation and am content to absorb the points made and consider them as I read the NKJV. Though some may disagree, I find the marginal notes on the variant readings to be this translation's best feature.

I would encourage those who like me have little exposure to the NKJV to use BibleGateway to compare it against your preferred translation(s).

I know that this has been asked on the Puritan Board before, but it's been almost two years since it was last asked and many new Bibles have come out since that time.

I enjoy the ESV Thompson Chain, and the ESV single column large print journaling Bible. I can't wait till Crossway comes out with their ESV Credo Bible, it will be much more affordable than the other credo Bible.
I wish had bought the Niv Spirit of Reformation Bible years ago, but was Dispensational still at time.

I wish had bought the Niv Spirit of Reformation Bible years ago, but was Dispensational still at time.
I picked up a clean hard back copy on Amazon relatively cheap a few years ago. The print is too small for comfortable reading, but the study notes/features are exceptional. So I use it for reference rather than reading, but I'm very glad to have it, and recommend it if you can find one at a reasonable price.

I picked up a clean hard back copy on Amazon relatively cheap a few years ago. The print is too small for comfortable reading, but the study notes/features are exceptional. So I use it for reference rather than reading, but I'm very glad to have it, and recommend it if you can find one at a reasonable price.
Book store was going out of business, and had real leather one for 40 dollars!

I'm juggling two favorites right now- Allan Longprimer (KJV) and TBS Westminster Reference, Large Print.

Thanks for that plug. I've been thinking of getting the Westminster Large Print. I haven't been able to get into the regular print, partly because the print is a little small for me, partly because it isn't bold enough, (which might otherwise offset that) and partly because the columns seem to be too narrow compared to what I'm used to.

With regard to David's Ryrie, Morocco isn't all that great, but it's probably great compared to what they've put out since then, which includes a lot of Bibles that don't even have sewn bindings. The paper in those of that vintage is probably much better than recent printings. Some of the ones I've seen in recent years have paper with a ton of ghosting.

There is a market for old Scofields, but of course that is going to depend on what condition it is in and what features it has, such as the cover, whether or not it has art gilt, and so on. Black Letter might fetch more since all they print now is Red Letter. I wouldn't expect to get $100+ or maybe not even $50+ unless it is pristine and unless it is sealskin or something exotic like that. The paper in the older ones will typically be better than what they put out now, which would be one attraction.

I'm liking the Nelson NKJV Comfort Print Single-Column and am thinking of getting it in the Premier edition. I like the Schuyler Quentel too, but generally prefer something a little smaller for everyday use. The NKJV Preaching Bible is good too, but also a little big for everyday use.

When it comes to the KJV, I keep coming back to the Cambridge Concord, in my case the one printed by the Trinitarian Bible Society until recently. I think they called it the "Classic Original."

Every Reformed believer (and probably any who are the least bit Reformed-leaning) should have a Reformation Heritage KJV Study Bible.

Over the past year, I've done some reading from the CSB. Two that I like in that version are the Single-Column Personal Size (although the covers are a bit dodgy) and the Spurgeon Study Bible.

I've got to say that there really isn't any ESV that I like, probably one reason why I haven't seriously considered reading it regularly in over a decade. There is always something with every one I look at that is a deal breaker. Either it is too big, too small, only available in red letter, bad paper, or something else.

In the NASB, it is the Side-Column Reference, which is one of my all time favorites in any translation.

Well, that's not exactly one, but it is what it is. If I had to pick one right now, it would probably be the NKJV Single-Column.

Last edited:

Some may seek the NKJV Ryrie in just about any readable condition since they weren't printed for very long from what I understand.

As a PSA, Christianbook is running a fantastic "Cyber Monday" sale right now through 12/9. The NKJV I linked in post #2 is about $30 cheaper and available for less than $100 right now. Lots of good deals on dozens of others as well.

Have a joyful Lord's Day everyone!

I'm liking the Nelson NKJV Comfort Print Single-Column and am thinking of getting it in the Premier edition. I like the Schuyler Quentel too, but generally prefer something a little smaller for everyday use. The NKJV Preaching Bible is good too, but also a little big for everyday use.

When it comes to the KJV, I keep coming back to the Cambridge Concord, in my case the one printed by the Trinitarian Bible Society until recently. I think they called it the "Classic Original."

Every Reformed believer (and probably any who are the least bit Reformed-leaning) should have a Reformation Heritage KJV Study Bible.

Over the past year, I've done some reading from the CSB. Two that I like in that version are the Single-Column Personal Size (although the covers are a bit dodgy) and the Spurgeon Study Bible.

I've got to say that there really isn't any ESV that I like, probably one reason why I haven't seriously considered reading it regularly in over a decade. There is always something with every one I look at that is a deal breaker. Either it is too big, too small, only available in red letter, bad paper, or something else.

In the NASB, it is the Side-Column Reference, which is one of my all time favorites in any translation.

Well, that's not exactly one, but it is what it is. If I had to pick one right now, it would probably be the NKJV Single-Column.
The older Thompson by Kirkbtide were known as quality Bible's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back