What Is Your Favorite Room of Your House?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I love our bedroom which I have set up where we can lie down and stare up at the sky and a tree that has lots of birds. But then, I also love having a bunch of folks around our big table in the kitchen.

One of my favorite childhood memories is visiting my grandparents every summer in rural Michigan. There wasn't a whole lot to do up there, but that's where I fell in love with basements. Painted cinder block walls, painted concrete floor, and decorated with antique farming supplies. Like any basement it was dark and cold, and it always had a loud dehumidifier running. I've never slept so well. There are also few things more comforting than waking up to the sound of the creaking floors overhead as Grandma is cooking breakfast.

We have friends down in SC who have a basement (I stayed with them during the Calvin Conference). It is so cool because it is like going into "another house" when you descend those stairs. It's like you have your own suite. My only regret here is that we don't have a bathroom in the basement. Otherwise, I might never leave!

When we first moved here, I had most of my pastor's library put in the basement by the movers. Then we found that the are we live in is prone to flooding. So we spent and entire day moving almost EVERYTHING book related (books, computer, bookcases, etc.) from the basement to the ground floor upstairs. That was a pain. Now, most of the theological stuff has ventured to the church. So my library is in multiple places. Still, the basement is a cool place, in more ways than one!

I would have to say my living room.....because thats where everyone tends to hang out, and spend time together. And we have such a nice comfy couch with lots of windows surrounding it, so there's lots of sunlight....and I love to just curl up and read on that couch. Sometimes, I take a nap on it too...lol :D

btw, Jessi....I love your kitchen! ;)

My favorite room in the house is whichever one Toni is in at any given time. If she's not at home, then the rooms are of no import.

Theognome

I like our basement. This is the first house I've lived in with one. It's a little cool in the winters, but in the summers it is just about the perfect temp. That is our family room/TV room, so we can retire there in the evenings, watch a DVD, play a game, watch TV, whatever. The furniture is so comfortable!

Being a Texan, new to the land of basements that is Pennsylvania, I have to vote for our finished room in the basement. From there I can work on a sermon, puff contentedly on a pipe, sip coffee and let the world do what it will. And for the distractions of the little residents we have a train table there and a PS2. So, we all win! What other room could that be said of?

Being from the land of basements that is Pennsylvania, I still cannot believe that there are virtually no basements in Central Virginia. When we were thinking of buying, instead of renting, a basement was my top priority (even more so than a large kitchen!). I envisioned my school room to be in the basement, I desired a laundry room away from all the other rooms, so it could be messy like it deserved to be. I wanted the big, dark, basementy smell.
The house we rent now does not have a basement. Suddenly, I am perfectly fine with that. I think it is all of the land and out houses (not portapotties, but shed-type buildings) or the insulated garage (currently my husband's mancave with pingpong, darts, etc) that could easily double as a school room. Or maybe I'm just so thankful to be able to afford to rent something like this, compared to our last home: a two bedroom apartment with a crawl-space kitchen, a stoop-sized balcony and a living room/dining room/office combo.
It's no palace, but it is our castle.

Ok, I have a basement which is half-way finished. It has my tv which is used for Planet Earth and Jane Austin (go planet earth!...totally great show), two lounge chairs and some "night stands". It has another finished part which is a bedroom for guests so you guys can come visit!!!!!. The other parts are unfinished but are useful in that they hold a grocery store and a laundry mat....really I'm not at all kidding! Food for an army!

Jessi, I am glad this thread was "resurrected," b/c I wanted to tell you I LOVE the kitchen photo above. That looks GREAT! Thanks for posting it!

But now I have to don the :judge: and lodge a complaint. You have provoked a brother to jealousy. I like the kitchen so much I am envious!!! ;)

I like our basement. This is the first house I've lived in with one. It's a little cool in the winters, but in the summers it is just about the perfect temp. That is our family room/TV room, so we can retire there in the evenings, watch a DVD, play a game, watch TV, whatever. The furniture is so comfortable!

Being a Texan, new to the land of basements that is Pennsylvania, I have to vote for our finished room in the basement. From there I can work on a sermon, puff contentedly on a pipe, sip coffee and let the world do what it will. And for the distractions of the little residents we have a train table there and a PS2. So, we all win! What other room could that be said of?

Being from the land of basements that is Pennsylvania, I still cannot believe that there are virtually no basements in Central Virginia. When we were thinking of buying, instead of renting, a basement was my top priority (even more so than a large kitchen!). I envisioned my school room to be in the basement, I desired a laundry room away from all the other rooms, so it could be messy like it deserved to be. I wanted the big, dark, basementy smell.
The house we rent now does not have a basement. Suddenly, I am perfectly fine with that. I think it is all of the land and out houses (not portapotties, but shed-type buildings) or the insulated garage (currently my husband's mancave with pingpong, darts, etc) that could easily double as a school room. Or maybe I'm just so thankful to be able to afford to rent something like this, compared to our last home: a two bedroom apartment with a crawl-space kitchen, a stoop-sized balcony and a living room/dining room/office combo.
It's no palace, but it is our castle.

Do you want to buy my house??? :lol:

Ok, I have a basement which is half-way finished. It has my tv which is used for Planet Earth and Jane Austin (go planet earth!...totally great show), two lounge chairs and some "night stands". It has another finished part which is a bedroom for guests so you guys can come visit!!!!!. The other parts are unfinished but are useful in that they hold a grocery store and a laundry mat....really I'm not at all kidding! Food for an army!

Our basement is half-finished as well (the finished part is two rooms -- one a tv room/den/family room space, including a fireplace; the unfinished part is laundry room, furnace, etc.).

One unexpected "treasure" was that the previous pastor left an OLD refrigerator in the unfinished basement. We left it there several months before trying it out (wasn't even sure it would work). We finally plugged it in and decided to start putting drinks in it. Well, it worked so well that the first day after plugging it in I went and checked and ALL the bottled water had frozen! I had to turn it way down just to keep the drinks cool!!!

back porch (seasonal!). We have to put a screen up in black fly season, but it overlooks the lake. My dock is also a favorite "room."

back porch (seasonal!). We have to put a screen up in black fly season, but it overlooks the lake. My dock is also a favorite "room."

Jealous.... truly I am! I want a 4 seasonal one where I can view all the seasons!

Jealous.... truly I am! I want a 4 seasonal one where I can view all the seasons!

I can view all the seasons. We have glass sliders looking out over the lake. BTW, from the dock, I can see all the constellations available (no light pollution) and I can catch bass of the large variety.

I can view all the seasons. We have glass sliders looking out over the lake. BTW, from the dock, I can see all the constellations available (no light pollution) and I can catch bass of the large variety.

Sounds soooooooooooooooo nice!! I really want to go to Maine someday!
I love VT and NH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back