World Cup Disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripel

Puritan Board Senior
It sure would have been great for the US to have gotten the 2022 World Cup. And I know the UK is disappointed about England's failed bid for 2018.

But despite losing out, I am really intrigued to see Qatar host this thing. Air-conditioned stadiums in the Middle East? This will be entertaining.

I thought that since we elected Obama the whole world was gonna like US so much that all these things were gonna go our way - yet were O for 2 now. Go figure...

Even as a Scot , I'm disappointed that England didn't get it. The whole process is very Political (with a huge, capital P !!)

I'm caught between laughter and disgust. Hosting the world cup in Qatar is like having a swim meet in a bathtub. A boiling bathtub.

But really, its just disgusting. We all know that most of the labor that will go into Qatar's stadiums will be slave labor.

After all that that political expertise exerted by our "high officials" we still fell short. Gee, they might as well have expended that energy on lesser things, like immigration issues or Korea.

As a Scot I found myself hoping England would get to host the 2018 World Cup as long as they promise not to win it.

I understand it's one of only two Muslim majority nations that don't allow churches to be built. I hope the cost of the cup bankrupts them and the leadership has to survive on dead sheep that didn't make it alive to Mecca.

I understand it's one of only two Muslim majority nations that don't allow churches to be built. I hope the cost of the cup bankrupts them and the leadership has to survive on dead sheep that didn't make it alive to Mecca.

Apparently, they've started to allow select Catholic masses in the past 2 years.

I started to post something more direct (referencing a news story on the Salt Lake Olympics), but immediately edited my post since I have no evidence of corruption this time. I'd be shocked, however, if there were NOT payoffs.

I agree, Edward. It's just incredibly fishy that England and the US would have such appealing bids, yet they got shalacked in the vote. Out of 22 votes, England only got two. Two!! And one of those was by the English delegate. For 2022, the US only got 3 out of 22 votes. That is staggering. Especially when you factor in that Korea got 4 and Japan got 3.....and Korea/Japan were joint hosts a mere 3 World Cups ago!

This is not a case of the US and England being out-played in their respective bids. There was an intensional effort to keep the World Cup away from these two Western powers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back