What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi:

Theodore Letis' unpublished doctoral dissertation, "From Sacred Text to Religious Text: An Intellectual History of the Impact of Erasmian Lower Criticism on Dogma as a Contribution to the English Enlightenment and the Victorian Crisis of Faith."

Blessings,

Rob

"The Closing of the American Mind" by Allan Bloom. Anybody else read it? I found it at a store in the mall I work at for only $5.52. <3 I was so beyond psyched about reading it that I actually couldn't sleep last night; I had to keep grabbing it off my night table to read it over & over again. I know that sounds kinda outrageous, but believe it or not, I'm dead serious.

Update:

I've finished up "Give Them Grace." I can't recommend it enough to parents and non-parents alike! Now, I'm reading Fitzpatrick's "Because He Loves Me." It was highly recommended by Tullian Tchividjian.

I'm also reading "Beat to Quarters," which is book seven of the 13-book Horatio Hornblower series by C. S. Forrester. Super-fun books!

Currently doing a lot more reading for class than for pleasure reading, but the Pastor of the Church I've been worshipping with in the evenings gave me Joseph Pipa's The Lord's Day and I am enjoying it. It has opened my eyes to the beauty of the Lord's day.

Currently doing a lot more reading for class than for pleasure reading, but the Pastor of the Church I've been worshipping with in the evenings gave me Joseph Pipa's The Lord's Day and I am enjoying it. It has opened my eyes to the beauty of the Lord's day.

That's an excellent book! I'd place it on my required reading list for every Christian.

That's an excellent book! I'd place it on my required reading list for every Christian.

It's been very edifying so far. So thankful that I was given it. The chapter "The Market Place of the Soul" was so good.

Currently reading "The Cross of Christ" by John R.W. Stott. I've been looking for good books to put on my kindle though. I just recently got a kindle. I am going to start "Holiness" by J.C. Ryle.

Lately on to Six Sermons on Important Subjects by Robert Traill. His text is Galatians 2:21.

Last edited:
I just started reading John Durant's "A Discovery of Glorious Love or The Love of Christ to Believers Opened"

Currently reading:

The Exemplary Husband by: Stuart Scott

Same! Doing this as private enrichment. Reading the Quran for apologetic/evangelistic purposes. Finishing up Christopher Hill's treatment of Cromwell, "God's Englishman" (recommend with a caveat!), and though I've been long finished with the early life and his military campaigns, have picked back up (in order to polish off postwar life and death) the abridgement of DS Freeman's, "Lee" (recommend if you don't have time for the unabridged!) For our OPC Bible study (pursuing a church plant) our group is reading "The Enduring Community," a book on the church written by a couple RUF guys. Each week as a family, we read through the original Westminster Confession of Faith or listen to it on Librivox.
Finished up "The Enduring...," "Lee," "God's Englishman." Oh, and cycled in the Canon of Dordt in place of our regular WCF weekly reading for a week. I really need to read that more - what rich food! Also, rreally need to zip up those others because my library isn't getting any smaller and this jewel is on the way! Prepublication sale (for $19.95): Sermons of Rutherford, Gillespie, Baillie and Henderson | Naphtali Press
Alexander Henderson, Robert Baillie, George Gillespie, Samuel Rutherford. Sermons Preached before the English Houses of Parliament by the Scottish Commissioners to the Westminster Assembly of Divines, 1643–1645. Introduction by Guy M. Richard. Edited by Chris Coldwell. October, 2011

Be still my heart!

Just finished "William the Baptist" and started "Baptism in Scripture and History" by Rowland Ward last night.

Reading several books right now:

Moazzam Begg - Enemy Combatant
Matthew Carr - The Infernal Machine: A History of Terrorism
Louis Berkhof - Summary of Christian Doctrine
J.C. Ryle - ​Thoughts for Young Men
Rashid Khalidi - Ressurecting Empire

EDIT: Forgot one. It's added to the above list.

Just finished the Birthing House and I'm on to The Seance, The Ballad of Tom Dooley, Helmet for My Pillow and Sandman Slim.

Golden Booklet of the True Christian Life by John Calvin

A selection of portions from the Institutes. It's very short and to the point. I'm hoping it will break my bad habit of starting so many books and never getting around to finishing them...

I too tend to read multiple books at the same time, and in the end it seems like I finish maybe around 3/4 of them. Currently in progress (beside my ESV Bible):

Faith Is, by Louis Hill
Lukan Authorship of Hebrews, by David L. Allen
The Cannon of Scripture, by F. F. Bruce
God in the Dock, by C. S. Lewis
Recovering the Reformed Confession, by R. S. Scott
Truths We Confess; Vol. 1, by R. C. Sproul
Principles of Biblical Interpretation, by Louis Berkhof
The Christian's Reasonable Service, by Wilhelmus a Brakel

In English:

Clement of Alexandria:
Stromateis
Christ the Educator