What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, That's a Good Question! by R.C. Sproul (Tyndale) & Free Fall by William Golding (Penguin).

Happily, I noticed last night that my copy of Free Fall once belonged to the late, great Milton scholar (and Member of the Order of Canada, Order of the British Empire, and so on) Ernest Sirluck. ('Ernest Sirluck' is embossed on the upper right corner of the title page; and I purchased the book [randomly, for a couple bucks] at a book sale of the University of Toronto, where Sirluck was Vice-President in the 60's.) I love stuff like that.

"Russia in the age of Peter the Great" by Hughes, "A Complete Body of Doctrinal and Practical Divinity" by Gill and "City of the Dead" by Keene

There's a good chapter in the book by Hughes that explains the changes Peter/Pyotr Alexeyevich Romanov made to the Orthodox church, very interesting reading.

Daily reading
St Augustin "On Grace and Free Will"
William Milligan "The book of Revelation" just started
Hendriksen "The Bible on the life hereafter"

Every other day
Montague Free "Plant Propagation in Pictures"
Lydiane Kyte "Plants from Test Tubes (Micropropagation)"

Weekly
Durham on Isa 53
Michael Bushell "Songs of Zion"
Rowland E. Prothero "The Psalms in Human Life"

It is very difficult for me to give full focus on a single reading.

Just finished A Visual History of the KJV by Donald Brake and planning to start Bible: The Story of the King James Version 1611-2011 by Gordon Campbell.

Also reading Gordon Clark's Essays on Ethics and Politics.

If anyone is looking to buy a bow tie wearing student of Reformation and post-Reformation historical theology a "just because" gift, you might try: http://greatsite.com/facsimile-reproductions/kingjames-1611.html. No need to bother with the "genuine leather heirloom edition." I'd be quite happy with the Huge Full-Size “Deluxe” Leatherette Edition and genuine 1611 page suitable for framing ($495). It's only 30lbs! ;)

I am presently reading again The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination by L. Boettner. I read it first in 2001 and it, along with The Sovereignty of God directed me into the doctrines of grace for the first time. I'm enjoying my previous underlinings and also the multiple scriptures that so clearly validate its doctrinal truth! Such a fine book!!

Currently reading Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus by Elyse Fitzpatrick & Jessica Thompson. Absolutely amazing parenting book, but it's such a good explanation of the Gospel that I'd recommend it to anyone, kids or not!

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

The sex book is on my reading list. The Princess Bride was a really fun read! I didn't expect it to be as good as the movie, but it really was!

Last edited:
The Complete Husband- Lou Priolo * A must read for all Husbands! *
The Case for Covenantal Infant Baptism- Gregg Strawbridge

Last edited:
I have just started another book: The Last Boy: Mickey Mantle and the End of America's Childhood, by Jane Leavy. This was a free Kindle book.

I liked the title I know for me when Mickey retired that was the end of the Yankees for me. It was time to grow up.

Currently reading "Christless Christianity" by Michael Horton.

Last week I finally spent my Father's Day money and bought Calvin's "Institutes the Christian Religion" edited by McNeill - Can't wait to dive into that!

John, I read the Mantle book too about a year ago. It was distressing to find out what a vulgar, disgusting person he could be after idolizing him when I was a boy. But it appears he found forgiveness before he died. At least I hope that was true.

Brother Ruben (Pya3k) had recommended I read Turretin's Institutes of Elenctic Theology. He said "you will find many powerful and helpful points made against the Romanists". I am interested In strengthening my own Protestant faith by understanding further the errors and heresies of the papists. I was able to borrow Turretin's Institutes of Elenctic Theology from an elder in my church.

I like what I have read so far. I initially left the RCC over the Pope and papal authority over scripture. Turretin says:

The Roman Catholic Church is very similar to Judaism on the issue of authority. Romanists teach that the Bible and tradition as interpreted by the Church are the final seat of authority in religion.

There are many reasons why the Roman Catholic doctrine of an authoritative tradition must be rejected. First, the doctrine of the perfection, completeness and sufficiency of Scripture renders an authoritative tradition or further revelation from God unnecessary. Second, God’s inscripturated word forbids adding or detracting from the completed canon. Third, many of the Romanist traditions that have been added as authoritative doctrine and practice explicitly contradict the clear teaching of the Bible. Fourth, many Roman Catholic traditions contradict each other. Fifth, most of the additions of the papal church had their origins long after the death of the apostles. Sixth, human tradition is dependent upon sinful, fallible men and thus is obscure, unprovable and indefinite.20 An “authoritative” human tradition requires faith in sinful man’s fluctuating opinions. Only toward Scripture, which is perfect, complete, sufficient and perspicuous, can we direct our faith, for it is the very word of Christ and gives us a full assurance. Seventh, the Bible itself condemns all doctrines and worship practices that are not derived from the Scriptures. “In vain they worship Me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men” (Mt. 15:9; Isa. 29:13).

Turretin writes:

Nor can it be replied that the Pharisaical traditions are rejected, not the apostolic. All doctrines taught by men and not contained in the Scriptures are rejected and the assumption is gratuitous that there are any apostolic traditions out of the Scriptures. Believers are called to the law and the testimony (Is. 8:20) and destruction is denounced against those who do not speak according to it. Nor can traditions be meant by the testimony because God everywhere rejects them. Either the law itself (often called “the testimony”) is meant as a testimony of God exegetically or the writings of the prophets which were added to the law.21

Last edited:
Just finished Alone with God by John Macarther
Also reading The Consistant Christian by William Secker, The Passion of Jesus Christ by J. Piper &
Heaven by Randy Alcorn

About 15% into Counterfeit Miracles by B.B. Warfield.
The Godly Man's Picture by Thomas Watson as my morning devotional.

Southern Baptists and the Doctrine of Election--very good book, I which the SBC churches would return to this doctrine in their preaching and teaching.

I have read the first 9 Sermons of Genesis by John Calvin and I am taking a break from that and returning to RC Sproul's Commentary on 1 & 2 Peter which I am 13 chapters into.

Fiction: short sotires of Harlan Ellison
Nonfiction: Volume I of Charles Hodge's systematic theology

And still writing my own works, of course....

As noted elsewhere on another thread, but taking every opportunity to advertise a good read,

The Throne of Grace, by Robert Traill. Works, vol. 1, pp. 1-234.

I started reading Jesus the Evangelist by Richard D. Phillips after being convicted for not having the passion for sharing the gospel with the lost. I'm hoping this book will really grow me.

Last edited:
A History of the University of Trinity College, Toronto, 1852-1952 (T.A. Reed, Ed.; University of Toronto Press, 1952).

Toronto: No Mean City by Eric Arthur (University of Toronto Press, 1964).

The Prayer Book: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow by Robert Crouse, Ed Hird & J.I. Packer (Prayer Book Society of Canada, 1999).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back