What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion, translated by Battles
Story of Christianity, Justo Gonzalez
The Master Plan of Evangelism, Robert Coleman

Dostoevsky's The Idiot, half way through and it's not tasting good. Although I want to like his work I can't shake Nabokov's comments.

Horton's Systematic Theology, great sections on our union with Christ and the just/sanc routine.

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

Well played DMcFadden.

Jason, we have received our Atlantic Blue calfskin Allan KJVs and I must say that it is fun reading the KJV in this font, print boldness and awesome binding.

Has taught me that about 90% of the KJV can be read as routinely as any modern translation; the other 10% is the problem.

Morning Devotions: Valley of Vision and Voices from the Past

Long Term Reading: Calvin's Institutes (just finished book 3 yesterday)

Other Books: JC Ryle's Expository Thoughts on Luke, In Light of Eternity (Leonard Ravenhill biography recently published)

With my wife: Volume 2 of George Whitefield's biography (Dalimore)

Nightly reading with my children: Reformation Heroes

My wife and I read the tabletalk devotional every morning along with scrIpture reading for the day.

Just finished "Christless Christianity" from Michael Horton, and hope to read the follow up to it shortly.

Right now I am reading "A case for Amillennialism" from Kim Riddlebarger and "Truths we Confess" from RC Sproul.

I just finished "The Underground History of American Education" John Taylor Gatto
With my daughter: Tom Sawyer

I just started working my way through the NT in Spanish.

Currently reading "The Glory of Christ" by John Owen. My first Owen book and I'm loving it!
Just finished "The Art of Divine Contentment" by Thomas Watson a couple days ago. Fantastic!

Aside from seminary reading, I am reading the following:
Bavinck, Reformed Dogmatics, Vol 1- for a discussion group with some friends.
Horton's new ST,
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
Facing Grief by John Flavel

Why we're not emergent: by two guys who should be - DeYoung/Kluck
Decision Points- GW Bush
Prodigal God- Keller

The Marrow Controversy and Seceder Tradition: Marrow Theology in the Associate Presbyerty and Associate Synod Secession Churches of Scotland (1733-1799) by VanDoodewaard.

That's a mouthful.

'Extreme Righteousness - Seeing ourselves in the Pharisees' by Tom Hovestol

'Singing the Songs of Jesus - Revisiting the Psalms' by Michael LeFebvre

The Institutes of Biblical Law - R.J. Rushdoony
How God Wants Us to Worship Him - Joe Morecraft III

The Leadership Book: John MacArthur
God of Promises : Horton (Had wrong title before)

Last edited by a moderator:
C.H. Spurgeon: Autobiography, Volume 2: The Full Harvest, 1860-1892 (Banner of Truth)

Rediscovering the Church Fathers by Michael A.G. Haykin (Crossway)

Treatise on Separate Substances by St. Thomas Aquinas (Francis J. Lescoe, trans.; Saint Joseph College)

Voices from the Past: Puritan Devotional Readings by Richard Rushing (ed.)
Slave: The Hidden Truth About Your Identity in Christ by John MacArthur
Valley of Vision (daily devotional)

That must be a great book! I just listened two sermons by Joe yesterday on how we are to worship God, and I was absolutely astonished by the truths that were revealed!

SermonAudio.com - The Regulative Principle of Worship in the Old Testament
SermonAudio.com - The Regulative Principle of Worship in the New Testament

I just listened to the one on the Old Testament this past Tuesday. I must have an hundred of Joe Morecraft's sermons on cd in my car. My wife finally bought me a box to keep them all in since they were scattered everywhere. :lol:

That must be a great book! I just listened two sermons by Joe yesterday on how we are to worship God, and I was absolutely astonished by the truths that were revealed!

SermonAudio.com - The Regulative Principle of Worship in the Old Testament
SermonAudio.com - The Regulative Principle of Worship in the New Testament

I just listened to the one on the Old Testament this past Tuesday. I must have an hundred of Joe Morecraft's sermons on cd in my car. My wife finally bought me a box to keep them all in since they were scattered everywhere. :lol:

Do you have his commentary on the Westminster Larger Catechism? I would definitely get it, but currently I cannot afford it. =/

I just finished "Where Sin Abounds" by Robert Gonzales Jr.
Before that was "What He Must Be (if he wants to marry my daughter) by Voddie Baucham Jr.

Building A Christian Worldview - Vol 1 , Hoffecker & Smith
City of God - Augustine (Kindle version) Translated by Philip Schaff
Calvin's Institutes - Translated by Henry Beveridge
Introduction to Philosophy - George Stuart (Kindle version)

Reading Samuel Rutherford's, Lex Rex on the Kindle and The Shorter Catechism Explained from Scripture by Thomas Vincent along with Logic by Gordon Clark.

Before that was "What He Must Be (if he wants to marry my daughter) by Voddie Baucham Jr.

How was that? I read his Family Driven Faith and was utterly unimpressed. I only finished out of the sheer pride issue of wanting to be honest when I said "I read the whole book." Is the book you read good?

Do you have his commentary on the Westminster Larger Catechism? I would definitely get it, but currently I cannot afford it.

No, I don't have it yet. My pastor recently purchased all four volumes when we went to see Dr. Morecraft speak at the Greenville Seminary Theology Conference. I told my pastor that he was causing a brother to stumble (I was coveting the commentaries). I did have Dr. Morecraft sign my copy of "How God Wants Us to Worship Him" and also "With Liberty and Justice for All."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back