What Are Your Favorite Shows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Graduate
If you had to pick some all-time favorite shows, which ones would you pick? I'm looking for some shows to watch. The only thing is that I won't watch a show that has some seriously questionable worldliness.

Hey Arnold is a classic I grew up with.
The Munsters are pretty good.
I've been watching the Looney Tunes a bit.
 
"I Love Lucy"
"The Dick Van Dyke Show"
"Mission Impossible"
"Dragnet"
"Gunsmoke"
"The Mary Tyler Moore Show"
"Cheers"
"Seinfeld"
"Frazier"
"The Middle"
"The Blacklist"
"New Amsterdam"
 
Me and my kids went through EVERY episode of Little House, the Waltons, Green Acres, Land of the Lost (those Sleestacks were scary), and Gilligan's Island. Also many episodes of the Twilight Zone, Night Gallery, and Combat.
 
I love science fiction, especially more modern science fiction. I adored Lost, and I constantly argue with myself whether or not I loved Battlestar Galactica more. They are both great shows with great stories and intriguing ideas. I also really like Law and Order and Law and Order: Special Victim's Unit, although the latter can be gruesome and disturbing at times.

As far as just "regular ol' TV shows," I am three episodes away from finishing The Andy Griffith Show, and I would highly recommend it as light entertainment. My wife and I absolutely love I Love Lucy; it is comedy at its best. My wife and I watched all of Friends, but looking back on it, some of the comedy is wicked in nature and content, and the constant seeking out of fornication is a problem.
 
I love science fiction, especially more modern science fiction. I adored Lost, and I constantly argue with myself whether or not I loved Battlestar Galactica more. They are both great shows with great stories and intriguing ideas. I also really like Law and Order and Law and Order: Special Victim's Unit, although the latter can be gruesome and disturbing at times.

As far as just "regular ol' TV shows," I am three episodes away from finishing The Andy Griffith Show, and I would highly recommend it as light entertainment. My wife and I absolutely love I Love Lucy; it is comedy at its best. My wife and I watched all of Friends, but looking back on it, some of the comedy is wicked in nature and content, and the constant seeking out of fornication is a problem.

Your Man Card also gets revoked if you watch Friends, and your lineage is in danger of effiminacy for the next 10 generations.
 
Last edited:
I liked
Giligans Island
Twilight zone
The OLD Dr Who.
Andy Griffith
Three Stooges

I don’t watch any tv now really.
 
The last TV series my whole family thoroughly enjoyed, with very few concerns about the content/message, was Foyle's War. I don't think I can recommend anything else without qualifications unless I go back several decades.
 
Foyle's War is great.
Larkrise to Candelford.
The Crown (though some episodes need editing due to the godlessness of certain members of the Royal Household)
Victoria
Escape to the Country
The Great British Bake-off

As you may have guessed, my wife and I basically just watch British TV.
 
I love science fiction, especially more modern science fiction. I adored Lost, and I constantly argue with myself whether or not I loved Battlestar Galactica more. They are both great shows with great stories and intriguing ideas. I also really like Law and Order and Law and Order: Special Victim's Unit, although the latter can be gruesome and disturbing at times.

As far as just "regular ol' TV shows," I am three episodes away from finishing The Andy Griffith Show, and I would highly recommend it as light entertainment. My wife and I absolutely love I Love Lucy; it is comedy at its best. My wife and I watched all of Friends, but looking back on it, some of the comedy is wicked in nature and content, and the constant seeking out of fornication is a problem.

Isn't "Battlestar Galactica" filled with Mormon doctrine?
 
In addition to Foyles, Bletchley Circle and London Hospital. Both could be rough for kids. Oh, and Pink Panther cartoons :)
 
Mossad 101 is an excellent series, persevere past episode 2 and you will be hooked! (netflix) Hebrew with subtitles

Schtizel is also an excellent series, slow family drama but entertaining and gives an insight a different way of life (Netflix, in Hebrew with subtitles)

As a Babylon 5 fan - The Expanse is a worthy successor. the political dynamics between belters, mars colonists and Earthers is realistic. It is sadly more worldly than I would wish. (netflix now Amazon Prime)

On the radio I really like Denis Prager (also liked Alistair Begg's interaction with him - very revealing of Denis' works based righteousness)

The Man in the High Castle - a little worldly but accurately depicts what could have happened had we lost WW2. (Amazon)
 
From my childhood,
Thunderbirds
The Man from Uncle

More recently,
Only Fools and Horses
The Bill
Les Miserables

and of course
Match of the Day
 
When I was a child I loved

Star Trek
The Waltons
Get Smart
The Outer Limits

I still like the last three series, Star Trek is good but the humanism and Utopianism I find grating.

Nowadays I like:
Poirot
Brother Cadfael
Peter Wimsey Mysteries
Babylon 5
Deep Space Nine - though it does have some fornication
Columbo
Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett)
and the incomparable original Twilight Zone

I can tell what NOT to watch: Midsumer Murders it is the most ant-Christian program I have seen. Also, the new Doctor New can be pro-LGBTQ and anti-Christian.
 
Last edited:
The various Star Trek series
Agatha Christie Mysteries
Bosch
Numbers
Firefly
Homicide: Life on the Streets
Goliath
CSI (Vegas)
Sherlock Holmes (Both the Cumberbatch and Brett series)
Seinfeld
Law and Order (original)
Highlander
Blacklist
Monk
Restaurant Impossible
Psych
Murder She Wrote (At least I admit it)
Battle Star Galactica (2000s)
 
I put dates so that you know that I mean a specific incarnation / iteration of a show that may have different "versions" over the years. (The Twilight Zone, for example, it's currently on it's fourth version!)

Star Trek (1966 - 1969)
Doctor Who (1963 - 1989)
The Twilight Zone (1959 - 1964)
UFO (1970 - 1973)
Space: 1999 (1975 - 1977)
Battlestar Galactica (1978 - 1979)
The Avengers (1961 - 1969)
The Outer Limits (1963 - 1965)
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (1979 - 1981)

There are a ton more that I have always liked, but the shows above are the ones that I won't turn the channel away from if I am just channel clicking and happen to come upon them.
 
Foyl's War

Foyle's War

Agreed. Some other British series Danger UXB, The Avengers (the Diana Rigg years) , The Prisoner, The Saint.

Gunsmoke, The Virginian.

@Taylor Sexton @bookslover As noted above, Battlestar Galactica was loosely based on Mormon theology.

Here's a link to a story in the Deseret News:
https://www.deseretnews.com/article...tica-dared-to-produce-something-profound.html
(The Deseret News is indirectly owned by the Mormon Church)


A lot of the 60s and 70s sitcoms had subtexts promoting acceptance of homosexuals or characters with homosexual mannerisms. One should watch shows like Gilligan's Island with discernment. (One of the most blatant, of course, was "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir")

(edited to add link)
 
Not as far as I am aware.

BG did a pretty good job of pitting the polytheism of humanity against the monotheism of the Cylons, but there was no overt Mormonism that I am aware of. Darwinism seems to be the underlying worldview.

You might be thinking of The Expanse--in which the Mormons of the future play a big part--but their 'doctrine' is neither explained nor advocated.

BTW, I would not call either of these 'family oriented'.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top