World Cup (soccer) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
CONCACAF Rules again. :)

you were right, we shouldn't under estimate CONCACAF, I think the U.S. will account for a Portugal who will be without
Ronaldo,GO USA USA USA

Cannot believe that Italy lost to the Costa Rico- hey I just thought of some thing cosa nostra lost to costa rico, how's that for a play on words!

So North Ireland, Ireland, Wales, and Scotland didn't even make the World Cup, and now England is going home after merely two games.

Help me understand Extra Time: So does the referee hold a stopwatch, and run it when a ball is out of bounds, guy is injured, etc., then just before the 90 min. mark says how much time will be added to account for that lost playing time?

What prevents a goalie on the team leading at the moment from just letting the ball sit for an extended period of time in Extra Time? Would the referee just add that on to the initial time?

How strict is the time given for Extra Time? If they put 4 minutes on the clock, but the losing team is on an offensive rush, will they blow the whistle and call the game at 4 minutes?

I forgot how they determine [-]extra time[/-] injury time (or stoppage time rather). I don't think the ref is the one keeping track, but officials off the field.

Goalie's aren't allowed to waste time. They can get a yellow card for that.

If there is rush or play going on and it's already over the [-]extra time[/-] stoppage time, the ref will allow it to go on. But once that play is over he will blow the whistle.

Last edited:
Help me understand Extra Time: So does the referee hold a stopwatch, and run it when a ball is out of bounds, guy is injured, etc., then just before the 90 min. mark says how much time will be added to account for that lost playing time?

What prevents a goalie on the team leading at the moment from just letting the ball sit for an extended period of time in Extra Time? Would the referee just add that on to the initial time?

How strict is the time given for Extra Time? If they put 4 minutes on the clock, but the losing team is on an offensive rush, will they blow the whistle and call the game at 4 minutes?

Extra time is quite different to injury time. Extra time happens during the knock out stages when a game is drawn after 90 minutes and 30 minutes of extra time is played. Injury time is the time added on at the end of each half to compensate for time lost due to the game stopping to allow treatment for injured players or other hold ups.

The goalkeeper has to release the ball within 4 seconds of catching it. If he drops the ball to his feet he can keep it as long as he likes but he is not able to pick it up again.

When the time is up the ref should blow the whistle and last night's France v Austria game saw the ref blow for full time a fraction of a second before France scored what would have been a 6th goal. The only time the ref would extend time after full time would be if a penalty was awarded and time has to be extended to allow the penalty to be taken.

Ah, yes. What Stuart said. Extra time ≠ injury time (or perhaps more properly "[added] stoppage time").

Last edited:
This is easily the best World Cup of my life. Every single game (minus Iran v. Nigeria) has been back and forth up and down with all kinds of action.
I think a lot of it has to do with playing in Brazil.

I have enjoyed the World Cup so far but anyone who saw the 1970 tournament will probably say that nothing since has even come close

Thank you Claudiu and Stuart. That helps.

And yes, Ghana was very, very impressive today.

Um, I noticed that even though it has been over an hour, no one is offering congratulations on Holland's victory. Why is that?

Three wins.

No losses.

The real Luis Suarez resurfaced at tonight's match with Italy. Over the last year in England he impressed me in that he wasn't cheating and rolling around the place. I thought he had worked hard and reformed himself. Alas after biting Italy's Chiellini (the 3rd time he has done it in 4 years) shows that the leapard never changes his spots. He should be baned for a long long time.

The real Luis Suarez resurfaced at tonight's match with Italy. Over the last year in England he impressed me in that he wasn't cheating and rolling around the place. I thought he had worked hard and reformed himself. Alas after biting Italy's Chiellini (the 3rd time he has done it in 4 years) shows that the leapard never changes his spots. He should be baned for a long long time.

Eh, gotta do what ya gotta do :p

Congratulations to the USA for qualifying to the next round.

Plus we will end up with the winner of what I consider the weakest group. Round of 8 is definitely possible. Though we will unceremoniously come crashing back to reality if we make it there.

I know the World Cup only comes around every 4 years but I'm already over it!
as a Liverpool fan, there's disappointment there with the Suarez incident particularly as his club side gets penalised more than his international team?
He definitely needs some sort of correction, but he also needs support he may be suffering from some sort of broad spectrum Autism disorder albeit only exhibiting mild symptoms ie; biting
congratulations to the U.S. for qualifying for the knockout stages.

Luis Suarez should have been banned from international football for one or maybe even two years, but the ban should not have applied to club football. When a player is suspended from club football (for whatever reason), this ban does not apply to international football. Surely the same logic should apply when a player commits an offence while playing international football, i.e., the suspension should only apply to international games and not to games for his club.

congratulations to the U.S. for qualifying for the knockout stages.

While doing research in the Public Record Office this week, I had lunch with two American research students (on different days). During these conversations, both of them referred to soccer as "real football". Evidently, things have come on leaps and bounds since USA '94. ;)

Glad it's all back on again tonight. A days break from the World Cup is too long. When I got home last night and sat down to watch the telly all I got was Coronation Street. I said to the wife how much you mis the football when it's not on. All I got was a strange look. Wives just don't seem to get football.

Luis Suarez should have been banned from international football for one or maybe even two years, but the ban should not have applied to club football. When a player is suspended from club football (for whatever reason), this ban does not apply to international football. Surely the same logic should apply when a player commits an offence while playing international football, i.e., the suspension should only apply to international games and not to games for his club.

:ditto:

Glad it's all back on again tonight. A days break from the World Cup is too long. When I got home last night and sat down to watch the telly all I got was Coronation Street. I said to the wife how much you mis the football when it's not on. All I got was a strange look. Wives just don't seem to get football.

I was out in the mountains of Montana for two days. Didn't get cell phone connection, much less internet. So I couldn't watch anything even if I wanted :p

I see Brazil beat Chile.

Come on, guys. Aren't you being a bit harsh toward Suarez? Haven't you ever fallen on somebody in this manner before?!

From the ESPN article:
Suarez wrote: "After the impact... I lost my balance, making my body unstable and falling on top of my opponent. At that moment I hit my face against the player, leaving a small bruise on my cheek and a strong pain in my teeth."

:scratch:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back