World Cup (soccer) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wayne Rooney was a millstone around the neck of England in the second half.

I pity him really. He has such a bad record for the national team.

I would not say so. Ok he did not have the best of nights but it's not just about scoring goals. His work rate of the ball is tireless and his lay offs are invaluable. It was Rooney who set up England's equaliser.

I would not be too concerned as I still think England will qualify from their group.

Besides Rooney missing the best chance, Rodger's is to blame for the loss. He played both Henderson and Gerrard defensive mid. He should have kept Gerrard back and then Henderson more forward and Henderson should have been one on one with Pirlo. Also, the triangle up top didn't help at all. He just doesn't know how to play his guys. It was the same thing when he coached Liverpool.

I think you mean Roy Hodgson. I would not blame him. Although the Italians won, other than the goals, the English goal did not come under a lot of pressure. During the first round of games, the bigger teams are a bit slow at starting and Italy and England are the two big clubs of this group, Uruguay and Costa Rica still have to play them both. I m sure Italy will qualify and the second spot will be between England and Uruguay for second spot and I would expect the English to claim that.

I think you mean Roy Hodgson. I would not blame him. Although the Italians won, other than the goals, the English goal did not come under a lot of pressure. During the first round of games, the bigger teams are a bit slow at starting and Italy and England are the two big clubs of this group, Uruguay and Costa Rica still have to play them both. I m sure Italy will qualify and the second spot will be between England and Uruguay for second spot and I would expect the English to claim that.

Ah, that's what I meant to say, Hodgson. I still have lay a lot of the blame on him. He has trouble knowing how to play his guys. I think Italy will take the top spot of the group. Between England and Uruguay, I would expect England to win. It might come down to goal differential though.

The US wins and not one post!!!!

Because we see the inevitable coming if we get out of group. Lets face it the USA looks horrible. We play OK at defense but our offence is embarrassing in that we cannot not hold on to the ball. We should have lost 6-2.

Wayne Rooney was a millstone around the neck of England in the second half.

unfortunately Hodgson played him out of position in left midfield, he's a striker & forward, & according to a reliable British rag,
despite his workload, his defence was unreliable which left England's left-back baines rather exposed on the left, Italy took advantage of this, apparently directing a lot of their attack down England's left flank, & also Pirlo's masterclass helped.

The US wins and not one post!!!!

Because we see the inevitable coming if we get out of group. Lets face it the USA looks horrible. We play OK at defense but our offence is embarrassing in that we cannot not hold on to the ball. We should have lost 6-2.

USA might have a chance to get out of the group. But they aren't exactly an intimidating team. There are great parts to it (Clint Dempsey!). Like you said, they have a hard time holding on to the ball consistently. It's frustrating.

I'll ask the real soccer fans: Is this German team championship caliber as the last couple have been (although they did not win them)? I see they embarrassed Portugal in their first game, but this is the only time I ever pay attention to soccer, so I don't know what the talk was coming in to the tournament regarding the Germans.

Edit: I do see they are ranked 2nd in the FIFA rankings heading into the tournament, with Portugal ranked 4th.

I'll ask the real soccer fans: Is this German team championship caliber as the last couple have been (although they did not win them)? I see they embarrassed Portugal in their first game, but this is the only time I ever pay attention to soccer, so I don't know what the talk was coming in to the tournament regarding the Germans.

Edit: I do see they are ranked 2nd in the FIFA rankings heading into the tournament, with Portugal ranked 4th.

I don't know if I count as a "real soccer fan," but I think the German national team is championship caliber. The last few have been as well, but they couldn't make it past the semi-finals.

Russia and South Korea both look poor. I wouldn't be shocked to see Algeria make it out of Group H.

I was a little surprised. I expected both teams to do better. We'll see what happens in that group.

The Brazil vs. Mexico game had quite the action, even though it was a draw in the end.

Netherlands v Australia - both teams I like. Just hope Netherlands don't score a shed full - 2-0 would be plenty.

Russia and South Korea both look poor. I wouldn't be shocked to see Algeria make it out of Group H.

I was a little surprised. I expected both teams to do better. We'll see what happens in that group.

The Brazil vs. Mexico game had quite the action, even though it was a draw in the end.

The Brazil/Mexico game was phenomenal. Really fun to watch.

Looking forward to Spain/Chile and Croatia/Cameroon today.

The Dutch seem out for blood. Wouldn't be surprised to see another 5-0 slashing.

I'm sure the Socceroos will put up more fight than the Spanish did, they are weakened though through injury, their
first choice right back Franjic is out of the tournament & their 2nd holding midfielder Milligan will miss the match due to a bung hammy, Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi !

Netherlands v Australia - both teams I like. Just hope Netherlands don't score a shed full - 2-0 would be plenty.

thanks for you concern, hope the English make it out of their group as well, if the Socceroos get bumped out
of the Tournament, I'll console myself by thinking of Australia's 5-0 Ashes Triumph earlier this year.

I'm afraid the Dutch are out to prove themselves and will score without mercy. Do the Aussie's sing/chant like the Irish? It'd be nice to at least hear something like this:

[video=youtube;lOLgXjplfh4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOLgXjplfh4[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back