Best Rock Albums....

Status
Not open for further replies.
After thinking a bit further....

Tom Waits - Mule Variations

When it comes to pearl jam the easiest choice would be rearviewmirror.

The 90's have a good selection of Rock music

Soundgarden - Superunknown
Alice in Chains - Dirt
Mad Season - Above

Actually i was thinking of posting about best albums per decade. I like 90's rock and 60's and 70's. But the more i thought about it.... the more it really depends on what mood i am in.

So i would have to break it down by decade and mood.

Ditto: (although I don't know Mad Season)

-----Added 12/24/2008 at 09:13:06 EST-----

Randy...I was with you until you said Rush...bleh.

And no one has mentioned The Allman Brothers Band (any album), or even CCR (any album)...but not Fogerty's (latest) solo album (which I know isn't CCR, but he is inextricably linked with them).

-----Added 12/24/2008 at 06:43:19 EST-----

Oh yeah...and no Aerosmith.

I had the Allman brothers.; Live at the Fillmore East!!

-----Added 12/24/2008 at 06:22:34 EST-----

I have to add a few more that are worthy.

Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs-Derek and the Dominoes
Vertigo-Jump, Little Children
August and Everything After-Counting Crows
Vs.-Pearl Jam
Superunknown-Soundgarden
Texas Flood-Stevie Ray Vaughan

Sorry there Mr. Beasley...I posted too quickly, and didn't see your list.

Last edited:
Goodness! How can someone actually pick their favorite? I love so many!

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Lady Land

Boston - Their first album

Styx - The Grand illusion

Journey - Infinity

The Beatles - White Album

The Beatles - Abbey Road

Savoy Brown - Street Corner Talkin'

Foghat - Live

Rush - 2112
Rush - Hemisphere's

I used to be a big Rush fan until I started reading the lyrics and realized a lot of the songs are about pot and other illegal drugs (e.g. Passage to Bangkok). But they are talented musicians and they are Canadian.

But this thread has helped me find/re-discover some cool stuff. Thanks guys!

Rush - 2112
Rush - Hemisphere's

I used to be a big Rush fan until I started reading the lyrics and realized a lot of the songs are about pot and other illegal drugs (e.g. Passage to Bangkok). But they are talented musicians and they are Canadian.

But this thread has helped me find/re-discover some cool stuff. Thanks guys!

I love Rush's music but if you want to steer clear of their ungodliness you should avoid their lyrics. Not only are they (were they) involved in drugs but (to me) their most evil sin is their philosophy.

I don't even know anyone else who has even heard of Mad Season, and Dirt is an awesome AIC album! Layne Staley had an incredible voice.

And somehow I've never even heard of rearviewmirror (the album) until now--I must have that! But if we were going non-greatest hits, Ten is still the best.

Layne Staley is one of my favorite vocalists hands down. "River of deceit" still gives me goosebumps when i hear it. Really well done on his part.

After thinking a bit further....

Tom Waits - Mule Variations

When it comes to pearl jam the easiest choice would be rearviewmirror.

The 90's have a good selection of Rock music

Soundgarden - Superunknown
Alice in Chains - Dirt
Mad Season - Above

Actually i was thinking of posting about best albums per decade. I like 90's rock and 60's and 70's. But the more i thought about it.... the more it really depends on what mood i am in.

So i would have to break it down by decade and mood.

Ditto: (although I don't know Mad Season)

-----Added 12/24/2008 at 09:13:06 EST-----

Randy...I was with you until you said Rush...bleh.

And no one has mentioned The Allman Brothers Band (any album), or even CCR (any album)...but not Fogerty's (latest) solo album (which I know isn't CCR, but he is inextricably linked with them).

-----Added 12/24/2008 at 06:43:19 EST-----

Oh yeah...and no Aerosmith.

I had the Allman brothers.; Live at the Fillmore East!!

-----Added 12/24/2008 at 06:22:34 EST-----

I have to add a few more that are worthy.

Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs-Derek and the Dominoes
Vertigo-Jump, Little Children
August and Everything After-Counting Crows
Vs.-Pearl Jam
Superunknown-Soundgarden
Texas Flood-Stevie Ray Vaughan

Sorry there Mr. Beasley...I posted too quickly, and didn't see your list.

That's ok, I'm just a huge fan of Skydog!:)

I like some of the aforementioned bands, although others I do not because of the content. Some that I would add would be Nightwish, Skillet, Kutless. Even though I think other bands are more talented musically than Kutless, their lyrics are good.

I am in the very small group of people who really do not care for Dark Side of the Moon. I just see it as melancholy, dark, and depressing, and would rather grind a drill bit into my head or watch endless reruns of Emeril than listen to DSotM. Maybe I just have bad associations with it from my past, but then again, I can still listen to the Dead and what not and enjoy it.

It just seems like everyone else I have encountered in life loves the album. I don't get it, Big Dan!

:p

-----Added 12/25/2008 at 01:47:56 EST-----

I also realize upon perusing this thread that everyone (on the PB, at work, back in high school...) that likes Pearl Jam thinks that Ten is their best album. Don't get me wrong, I think Ten is a fine piece of work, but I don't think it deserves the overwhelming love that it gets, compared to their other albums.

If I had to pick a favorite Pearl Jam album (not counting their greatest hits album), I'd probably go with Yield.

Do any of you Pearl Jam fans enjoy Temple of the Dog? That made me remember one of those early 90's albums that i really enjoyed..... Motherlovebone.

Another one i am surprised to not see mentioned is Frank Zappa. Although some of his material is inappropriate (see Joe's Garage) he is still an influential and talented musician.

Rubber Soul, The Beatles (1965)
Abbey Road, The Beatles (1969)
Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs, Derek and the Dominoes (Eric Clapton) (1970)
Live at Fillmore East, The Allman Brothers Band (1971)
Blood on the Tracks, Bob Dylan (1975)

I just ordered this one ( SACD ).

I just received Carol King's Tapestry on SACD as well! Excellent album. I know it's not considered rock, but I had to throw it in there. It's my wife's favorite CD.

Dude! I can't believe that I forgot about Trans-Siberian Orchestra! Just about any of their CDs are really, really cool. There is just something about turning classics into rock songs that sounds so...good!

This is such a subjective topic

I.M.O. Bands like Pink Floyd, and the Beatles have proven the test of time. I guess you could call them legends or rock god’s. To mention such burned out hacks like Whitesnake, and Nicky Six in the same context is almost irreverent.

Bleh I don't like the terminology "rock gods." Besides, would that mean the band spokesperson is a rock prophet?

You could probably guess what is my favorite rock album. But I would also add any of Raindow's albums when they had Ronnie James Dio on vocals. It has a popular rock sound, if that helps.

I know, god’s is probably not the best terminology. So that is why I made sure not to capitalize it. The word legend didn’t quite capture what I wanted to say.

To mention such burned out hacks like Whitesnake, and Nicky Six in the same context is almost irreverent.

Actually, I totally agree with you. But I gave mention of them in my posts because of the surprise album releases each put out.

I was surprised at how much I liked the song "Life Is Beautiful" by Sixx AM. First, it sounded nothing like Motley Crue, and second it sounded good.

And for Whitesnake, Coverdale has been releasing stuff since the 80s, but there was nothing much to talk about. Now with this new release I was once again surprised at how well it turned out, considering...

-----Added 12/29/2008 at 01:54:29 EST-----

I realize my lists really go beyond the actual intent of the OP, but I think every year there are some worthy albums that need mentioning, even though they may not be great or classic.
2007 and 2008 were not great years for rock, in my opinion. Of both years, I would say that the only album that will ever be considered a classic is Alterbridge's "Blackbird".

Now for 2006: I think 2006 was better than 2007 & 2008 as far as the number of really good releases. But, at this point, I don't think there were any albums that could ever be considered classics. Although, there are a many individual songs that could be... (a great year for metal, in my opinion)

(1) Blind Guardian - A Twist In The Myth (Power Metal)
- If you like Metal and you like Hobbits, Elves and Dwarves, this band is for you. I love this band.
(2) Solitude Aeturnus - Alone (Doom Metal)
- After 10 years SA puts out another awesome album. Robert Lowe's vox are still incredible!
(3) Wolf - The Black Flame (Heavy Metal)
- Wolf keeps getting better. If you like heavy Judas Priest or Iron Maiden you'll like these guys.
(4) Iron Maiden - A Matter Of Life And Death (Heavy Metal)
- IM never gets old. Here's an album full of epics.
(5) Communic - Waves Of Visual Decay (Power metal)
- Another really good album in the same vein as thier last. They still sound a lot like Nevermore.
(6) Evanescence - The Open Door (Alternative Rock / Gothic)
- I like this album even more than the last one. Amy Lee's vocals are perfect.
(7) Poisonblack - Lust Stained Despair (Gothic Metal)
- I was a little sad that they lost their first vocalist, but the songs on this album are pretty good.
(8) Bloodbound - Nosferatu (Power Metal)
- Urban Breed's vox make this album. There are a few great songs on here. (A few duds too.)
(9) Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance (Gothic Metal)
- This album takes some time to sink in, but it's really good.
(10) The Butterfly Effect - Imago (Alternative Rock)
- This album was a total surprise. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
(11) Evergrey - Monday Morning Apocalypse (Progressive Power Metal)
- I've been a little disapointed with Evergrey lately, but this album has some good songs.
(12) Tool - 10,000 Days (Heavy Alternative Rock)
- This is a great album. It just has a lot of experimental filler that could really just go... in my opinion.
(13) Sleeping At Last - Keep No Score (Mellow Alternative Rock)
- Wow. Very mellow, and extremely enjoyable - In a Remy Zero kind of way.
(14) Snow Patrol - Eyes Open (Brit Pop / Soft Rock)
- Great album! I listened to this one a lot.
(15) Lacuna Coil - Karmacode (Gothic Metal)
- Not as good as their last, but still a welcome offering.
(16) Amorphis - Eclipse (Death / Gothic Metal)
- With their new vocalist, Death vocals have returned. I'm not happy with that, but there are a couple good songs.
(17) My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade (Emo / Neo Punk)
- I was surprised I liked this so much. It's very well done for this genre.
(18) Breaking Benjamin - Phobia (Alternative Rock)
- A very enjoyable listen.
(19) Stone Sour - Come What(ever) May (Alternative Rock)
- This album was a surprise. Corey Taylor, from Nu-Metal band Slipknot, put out a straight-forward rock album that sounds really good.
(20) Circle II Circle - Burden Of Truth (Metal)
- Zach Stevens puts out another great album. If you like later Savatage you'll like this.
(21) Keane - Under The Iron Sea (Brit Pop)
- I really liked this album. Far better than their new one.
(22) The Quill - In Triumph (Stoner Rock)
- The Quill is probably the best of the genre. If anyone likes 70s rock and great vocals, check these guys out.
(23) Place Of Skulls - The Black Is Never Far (Stoner Rock)
- When Victor Griffin became a Christian he formed this band. He actually sings on this album, and it's pretty good!
(25) Audioslave - Revelations (Alternative Rock)
- I never liked the mixture of RATM and Chris Cornell, but this album has some good and interesting songs.
(26) Silversun Pickups - Carnavas (Indie Alternative Rock)
- A lot of feedback. But there are some really good songs on this album.
(27) The Answer - Rise (Bluesy Classic Rock)
- I absolutely love the song "Come Follow Me". The rest of the album is just so-so.
(28) Muse - Black Holes And Revelations (Electronic Brit Pop)
- The good songs are really good. The bad songs... just skip them.
(29) Army Of Anyone - (Self-Titled) (Alternative Rock)
- I could take or leave this album. Nothing exceptional, but most songs are good. Sounds like Filter and Stone Temple Pilots. :)
(30) Daughtry - (Self-Titled) (Rock)
- I mention this album just because Daughtry is probably the best thing to come out of American Idol. (As far as rock is concerned.)
(31) Priestess - Hello Master (Stoner Rock / Alternative)
- I was surprised I liked this. This band has potential.
(32) The Killers - Sam's Town (Alternative Pop Rock)
- This is an okay album. Not great, but worth mentioning.
(33) Dragonforce - Inhumane Rampage (Speed Metal)
- This is a fun album to listen to. Gets old quick, though...
(34) Alexisonfire - Crisis (Emo / Screamo)
- In an attempt to mix in more genres, here's a pretty good emo album that incorporates the cringe-worthy screamo vocals. But there are some songs I like.
(35) The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - Don't You Fake It (Emo)
- My cousin really likes this album. She's 14.

Alright. Here are some songs from 2006 that you should check out. :)

Another Stranger Me gets 10/10 from me.
[video=youtube;Uv-Nn-yNpAQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv-Nn-yNpAQ[/video]

[video=youtube;OEPjMnWz_DI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEPjMnWz_DI[/video]

[video=youtube;e--Jl_6m1cY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e--Jl_6m1cY[/video]

In no particular order:

Murmur by REM
The Queen is Dead by The Smiths
Closer by Joy Division
Love by The Cult
Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables by The Dead Kennedys
Bad Brains by Bad Brains
Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets by Metallica
The Clash (UK version) by The Clash
Damned Damned Damned by The Damned
Complete Discography by Minor Threat

Not in any order:
Actung Baby - U2
Beatles - Revolver
Beatles - White Album
Closer - Joy Division
OK Computer - RadioHead
What's the Story Morning Glory - Oasis
3rd Album - Led Zepplin
4th Album - Led Zepplin
The Wall - Pink Floyd
Nevermind - Nirvana
Ten - Pearl Jam
Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson
Days of Future Passed - Moody Blues
Dummy - Portishead
Absolution - Muse

August Burns Red

[video=youtube;m1LG_WfHVgg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1LG_WfHVgg[/video]

....and As I Lay Dying

[video=youtube;B6aPKt2R2Bc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6aPKt2R2Bc[/video]

They are Christian Metalcore bands....if you can understand any of their lyrics..

Funny. My brother likes these bands. And he is the most stoic, mellow guy you've ever met. hehe

For me, I just could never get into the extreme vocals.

Funny. My brother likes these bands. And he is the most stoic, mellow guy you've ever met. hehe

For me, I just could never get into the extreme vocals.

Most of the people that I know of who listen to metalcore are people in my church I used to go to. You'd think it would be emergent, but it was actually a very confessional church.

Here are my top three favorite rock albums of all time:

1. Metallica "Metallica" (commonly referred to as "Black")
2. Van Halen "1984"
3. Bon Jovi "Slippery When Wet"

If I had to throw in a 4th it would be Guns-n-Roses, "Appetite for Destruction."

I don't know about the best rock album!!!, but I like The Strokes albums.

-----Added 12/30/2008 at 04:52:36 EST-----

August Burns Red

....and As I Lay Dying

They are Christian Metalcore bands....if you can understand any of their lyrics..

Underoath are way better.

I love classic rock (60's-80's), but since we are talking about COMPLETE albums. This is the first that I listened to where the whole album was outstanding (Remember I'm young).

Matchbox 20 - Yourself or Someone Like You

Santana - Abraxas
Deep Purple - Machine Head
Billy Joel - Italian Restaurant
Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel
Cream - Disraeli Gears

Anything by Chicago, the Rolling Stones and the Allman Brothers Band!

Jethro Tull - Aqualung
The Who - Who's Next
The Beatles - Abbey Road

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back