World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Messi is a great player for his day. Maradona is a great player for all time.

in the mid 80s to early 90s, England was exiled and broken in Europe and the Italian league spent all the money in the world to build a super league. The Germans went to Inter, the Dutch to Milan, South Americans to Napoli, along with dozens of other great international stars and the Italian talent already spread amongst Serie A. These squads were probably stronger than most national teams.

Maradona led Napoli to its only titles in league history in the midst of this amazing era of the Italian game. And he was a midfielder. He carried games almost single handedly. His World Cup hi-lites are forever etched in the minds of those who saw them live as well.

Messi is a strong cog for powerhouse Barca. a half dozen in the game today could replace him easily on that team.

comparing the eras, the game isn't the same for building power on teams. sadly, all Germans on this World Cup team play domestically.
[/QUOTE]

At the same time, for me to consider a player "the best of all time" that player would need to have some class. Looking at Maradona, I don't see that. The incident he had with Pele was ugly, and all around, he carries himself in a bad way I think. He was talented though.

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

I was expecting a response similar to this...what do you think about Uruguay though?

I like Uruguay, but I honestly don't know that much about them. I think I'll probably be rooting for them or Paraguay. I kind of like Spain, but I'm not that enthused.

One of my friends (who has seen all of her favorite teams beaten) has decided to root for which ever country has the lowest GDP in each match. I may end up going in that direction, haha.

Uruguay is a nice country. It's practically all European. 88% are of white european ancestry in that country. It is small in land. And Diego Forlan is awesome.

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

I'm cheering against Argentina. Diego Maradona is quite possibly the biggest loser in sports. The only consolation I'd have if they won is Messi might begin eclipse Maradona in terms of greatness, and Maradona would hate that. Right now I favor Germany, but I'm also inclined to root for Spain, especially considering they just sent Ronaldo packing.

It's been an interesting tournament so far:

1. France sent home in disgrace, flying coach. I don't think they even gave them a chance to shower after their last game.

2. England was found to be as it was: overrated. Lampard got hosed though.

3. US had a very favorable showing but being a second half team isn't conducive to a deep run. Hopefully Clark is looking for other career prospects at this point.

4. I don't think I've seen worse officiating at a major sports event ever. These refs couldn't be worse at their jobs.

You have to add Italy to the first point.

U.S. was bound to lose sooner or later since they didn't have the ability to score goals as a teams, with plays and passing.

And point 4...I don't know when Fifa will learn, they had some of these problems at the last world cup when some of their refs were throwing around cards like crazy, now its missed goals, goals not being counted that should (USA and England got cheated), goals being counted that shouldn't (Argentina), and on and on.

Uruguay also has the nicest National Anthem (though maybe tied with Deutschland Uber Alles) of the teams left in the tourney.

I tell you probably my favorite time is right before the game when the teams sing their National Anthems.

Its not that I hate so much as I have no knowledge.

Also, my favorite part of watching the World Cup is yelling at the tv in Spanish. Which seems...odd....if none of the teams playing speak Spanish. Now if someone would like to teach me how to swear in Dutch... :lol:

I am glad the Netherlands won, it seems as if most South Africans either support the Netherlands or Germany at the moment. The Western Cape are painted orange. In Afrikaans we have the saying, "Die Kaap is Hollands" (The Cape is Dutch), meaning everything is going well. But now "Die Kaap is Hollands," really!

Now that Uruguay is out, I officially don't care.

Interesting. Now that the Netherlands is in the final, I finally do care. On a reformed board like this, there must be others besides me with a good Dutch pedigree. My long-dormant pride in my heritage is resurfacing. Now if only they could draw Germany in the final and win...

I have my German flags ready, but the octopus appears to be favoring Spain.

I had thought this was a South American year, but the Europeans pulled it out.

Interesting. Now that the Netherlands is in the final, I finally do care. On a reformed board like this, there must be others besides me with a good Dutch pedigree. My long-dormant pride in my heritage is resurfacing. Now if only they could draw Germany in the final and win...

Even my Scottish and Cherokee pedigree is pulling for the Netherlands. I would love to see them face Germany and then shellac the Deutsche.

Even my Scottish and Cherokee pedigree is pulling for the Netherlands. I would love to see them face Germany and then shellac the Deutsche.

always great to see an important Germany/Netherlands match. an intense rivalry.

hopefully not a rematch of the Voller/Rijkaard incident of days past. (something is gonna happen out there, just watch...)

and where's your Arie Haan now?

I don't watch the WK (I don't even have a television). I want to reservate my heart for king Jesus, not for king soccer. I do not understand how the mass hysteria that is called WK can be combined with a godly life, in the fear of the Lord.

I don't want to offense anyone, dear brethren, and maybe this is because of my background in the experimental reformed circles in the Netherland, but this is my honoust feeling about the WK. When I think of the many cursus that are shouted when the other party has a goal, that people are partying, drinking and dancing while on their way to eternity...

I was sad to see Uruguay lose yesterday. They ahve by far the best National Anthem in the tournament and Diego Forlan is probably my favorite player.

I was sad to see Uruguay lose yesterday. They ahve by far the best National Anthem in the tournament and Diego Forlan is probably my favorite player.

Just listen to Uruguay's national anthem. I like Germany's and my favorite player is Thomas Mueller. Of course, my name is Schoen.

I'm for Spain now - at least partly because my wife and her family are Spanish. I don't really like Germany, though they have played very well in the World Cup so far. I think Spain wins, and just narrowly beats Netherlands in the final.

I am pulling for...Deutschland!

Having said that, wouldn't a Spain vs. Netherlands match-up be sweet?

It would be like the Dutch revolt vs. Spain all over again, with the Dutch sporting their orange jerseys with pride.

Down with Spanish popery, Go William of Orange!

he's one of the top 3 easily right now.

so take an interest and watch him play for Atletico Madrid in the upcoming season. well, or a better team in his league...

so take an interest and watch him play for Atletico Madrid in the upcoming season. well, or a better team in his league...

I signed up to receive updates from Atletico Madrid. I have been looking for a team to support in the Spanish League. Like their history.

Uruguay also has the nicest National Anthem (though maybe tied with Deutschland Uber Alles) of the teams left in the tourney.

I tell you probably my favorite time is right before the game when the teams sing their National Anthems.

One of my favs is the tune of Germany's national anthem, entitled "Austria" set to Psalm 94a in the Book of Psalms for Singing! Talk about irony.

Rise up, O Judge of the earth;
Render punishment to the proud.

When will you, o stupid people, when will you be wise?

I signed up to receive updates from Atletico Madrid. I have been looking for a team to support in the Spanish League. Like their history.

cool. Gol TV carries games from La Liga through the year. They'll be on to take a thumping from the stronger teams. Too bad he's stuck with a middling squad, oh well.

We just need the German team to get a little bit older so they can disperse all through England, Italy, Spain and leave a few in Germany for club football. Oezil will fit in seamlessly at Man U.

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

I'm cheering against Argentina. Diego Maradona is quite possibly the biggest loser in sports. The only consolation I'd have if they won is Messi might begin eclipse Maradona in terms of greatness, and Maradona would hate that. Right now I favor Germany, but I'm also inclined to root for Spain, especially considering they just sent Ronaldo packing.

Messi looks like Dustin Hoffman in All the Presidents Men, and played like him the whole tourney.

:)

strikers can't compete for glory with the greatest mid-fielders or sweepers (rare as hen's teeth). Cruyff and Pele weren't really forwards.

I am pulling for...Deutschland!

Having said that, wouldn't a Spain vs. Netherlands match-up be sweet?

It would be like the Dutch revolt vs. Spain all over again, with the Dutch sporting their orange jerseys with pride.

Down with Spanish popery, Go William of Orange!

Spain it is. Down with popery! Go Orange!

Spain it is. Down with popery! Go Orange![/QUOTE]

going to have to draw on 40 years of watching this sport to not feel ripped off watching that game...

Wow, I'm going to be really torn on this one.

After the US and England, the two teams I have favored the most are the Netherlands and Spain. Oh well, I'll be happy with either winning.

As my Dutch friends have taught me to cheer: "hup, Holland, hup."

Mr. VanDyke taught me that as a wee laddie. Now that I train hunting dogs I get sort of cracked up by it. 'Hup!' is the sit command for Spaniels. That makes it even more humourous in light of the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back