World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a beautiful anthem, but I've rarely heard the second verse sung anymore... the second verse was very popular back in the second world war, though. Also, he says that he is of "Duitsen" or "Germanic", blood, not "Dutch" as it is translated in the song on Youtube. Also, I've heard that the bit about being "loyal to the King of Spain" as being the first incident of sarcasm in a national anthem (since he was most certainly NOT loyal to the King of Spain, he was fighting him).

Spain it is. Down with popery! Go Orange!

going to have to draw on 40 years of watching this sport to not feel ripped off watching that game...

Which game? You mean Germany vs. Spain from earlier today, or Netherlands vs. Spain for the final?

The game this afternoon.

The next game always has promise.[/QUOTE]

It actually was a pretty good game I thought.

---------- Post added at 06:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 AM ----------

It is a beautiful anthem, but I've rarely heard the second verse sung anymore... the second verse was very popular back in the second world war, though. Also, he says that he is of "Duitsen" or "Germanic", blood, not "Dutch" as it is translated in the song on Youtube. Also, I've heard that the bit about being "loyal to the King of Spain" as being the first incident of sarcasm in a national anthem (since he was most certainly NOT loyal to the King of Spain, he was fighting him).

It means that he was loyal in the Christian sense of ones duty to the magistrate, and only rebelled necessarily and regretfully, according to my reading.

It actually was a pretty good game I thought.

I know, soccer and jazz are similar in you wait for someone to make a first comment and then you take the opposite point of view by reflex.

Makes you feel better.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back