World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was also stunned by how well N. Korea played.
I wouldn't mind America winning if it wasn't grist to the mill to those Americans who believe that God needs America.

This is probably a large reason of why I cannot bring myself to cheer for America, although I hadn't admitted it to myself yet! A co worker also noted that I only cheer for teams from colonized countries and never for the colonizers... I thought about and discovered she was right. What a nerd...

I wouldn't mind America winning if it wasn't grist to the mill to those Americans who believe that God needs America.

This is probably a large reason of why I cannot bring myself to cheer for America, although I hadn't admitted it to myself yet! A co worker also noted that I only cheer for teams from colonized countries and never for the colonizers... I thought about and discovered she was right. What a nerd...

In that case you should have been all for the USA vs. England!

In that case you should have been all for the USA vs. England!

Maybe? The "Americans" who won the war were actually the descendents of the colonizers. NOW, if it was the 6 Nations playing against England, maybe I'd be more into it... :p

Or, I could stop rooting for teams based on national history...!

My lineup for the U.S. against Slovenia:

4-4-1-1
Striker: Altidore
CF: Dempsey
Midfield (L-R): Beasley, Bradley, Donovan, Cherundolo
Backs (L-R): Bocanegra, DeMerit, Onyewu, Spector

I would have Cherundolo and Spector playing their version of "Total Football" and Donovan and Dempsey doing the same. Unleash Beasley like they did in 2002. I think a key to this game will be the distribution of Bradley and Donovan on the counterattack and on play at the top of the box. I have the gut feeling that this game will come down to a set piece.

And as I noticed Mexico just scored, it is clear how much France misses not only Zidane, but also Viera. Henry should be starting too.

Thumbs up to the comment on Garreth Barry. Gerrard and Lampard together just does not work. I thought that lesson was learned in 2006. It is a mystery to me why Paul Scholes (Manchester United) does not play as England's holding midfielder.

Go Oranje!

Mexico and America play very boring football, very weak and with no brain really, although Mexico is getting lucky and beating the French as I'm writing this. I still think that no one can compare to our great European football (except Argentina and Brazil, which play very creative and artistic). I want the Spaniards or the Germans to take it all the way, their passing game is just so beautiful to watch. Otherwise, I like the Netherlands but they get far and then don't quite make it to the end.

In the end, I just want to see some good football, whoever ends up going on. The only reason I'd want USA to do good is so that they can elevate the game more in this country (which is so behind Europe it's sad).

Go Liverpool...\\\Fernando Torres///

I lived there for a long summer. :) With a wonderful 60 year old woman and her two brothers who taught me to love Mexican football and hate the Argentinians and Europeans.

Howard was great... I just saw him on the 6 pm news and found him so likable. Cherundolo was great as well. I think the US came out with a defensive strategy... Poland could have used some of their conservatism in their match against Spain. Smuda is a dupayash!

[video=youtube;NbOYBa77TCo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbOYBa77TCo[/video]

Mexico and America play very boring football, very weak and with no brain really, although Mexico is getting lucky and beating the French as I'm writing this. I still think that no one can compare to our great European football (except Argentina and Brazil, which play very creative and artistic). I want the Spaniards or the Germans to take it all the way, their passing game is just so beautiful to watch. Otherwise, I like the Netherlands but they get far and then don't quite make it to the end.

In the end, I just want to see some good football, whoever ends up going on. The only reason I'd want USA to do good is so that they can elevate the game more in this country (which is so behind Europe it's sad).

Need I remind you, USA 1, England 1? USA 1, Italy 1 in 2006? Or USA 2, Spain 0 a year ago? I don't think the US is that far behind, my friend...

This is hilarious, but also infuriating.

As the World Cup starts,*conservative media declare war on soccer | Media Matters for America

If we needed any more evidence that Glenn Beck is in need of psychological help...

---------- Post added at 08:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

I love seeing the French being defeated, even if it is Mexico doing the deed...

The French being defeated ... isn't that the first rule of modern history?

Cinco de Mayo anyone?

The town I lived in while in Mexico was actually where Cinco de Mayo happened. (Puebla). So this game was especially fun for me.

A co worker informed me that Beck is just frustrated that he doesn't have the mental capacity to understand the game. I like this explanation.

ROFL!!! I love it!

I have to say, just watched the USA/Slovenia game...preceded by the Germany game this morning....I'm thinking the referees are having issues tonight.

(And yes, I love being a homeschooler in the summer...this is, ummm, Physical Education :D )

Dang it, USA should of had that one! Ref's are messing up the games today :(

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

Need I remind you, USA 1, England 1? USA 1, Italy 1 in 2006? Or USA 2, Spain 0 a year ago? I don't think the US is that far behind, my friend...

Yes, USA gets lucky (the England match wasn't because of US skill, neither the Italian one, the Italians always play bad in their group and then kick it up once they are out), but US still play like girls. Very weak and lazy. Not much skill with the foot, and lack of brain power when it comes to being creative or at least making plays. It's so boring watching them play I hardly do it. Euro club football is the way to go if you want to stay awake watching some good football. Either way, we shall see how this world cup continues.

Looks like USA had a bit of bad luck when their goal wasn't counted after coming back in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back